Menu

Canning dried beans? Kombu and gas?

Wabi Sabi

I have a pantry full of dried beans that I never use because I just never plan ahead to soak and cook, not to mention that I generally just want a small amount of beans (a can's worth, maybe) and not an entire bag. I also have an expensive pressure canner and an outdoor propane burner that I never use, so I've decided that I need to put these things to use and can all of the dried beans in the pantry.

I've canned before and am comfortable using the pressure canner, but here's my question: I've heard that adding a bit of kombu to beans can help with the gassiness, although I don't know if that's really true or just an old wives' tale. Dh had to have a large portion of his colon removed almost two years ago and ever since then he has been unable to tolerate even small amounts of beans without major discomfort. Even hummus has been off-limits.  :( 

So, back to the kombu: I have a big package of it in the pantry too, so I might as well give it a try. Some sources say to put in a piece of the seaweed when soaking. Other sources say to put a piece into the pot when cooking the beans. I'm not finding much at all about canning and using kombu. If you were canning, would you try adding it to the beans while they soak, when they cook (but they'll only be cooked a short time before they go into the jars), or would you add a small piece to each individual jar before they're processed? 

And tell me: does it REALLY help with the gas issue? Any insights there?

I can't answer any of your questions directly, but in the freewheeling spirit of internet chat board I'm going to respond anyway! I rehydrate a whole bag of dry beans at a time (usually 1lb bags), then I let them cool and put about a can's worth into pint size freeze bags. They thaw pretty quickly when I forget to get them out of the freezer early in the day.

Canning is a great idea, though! Good luck!

• Like 1

I have been told to use the kombu when cooking, but I've never found it to make a difference. That said, no one in my house suffers from gas after eating beans, and we eat a LOT of beans. So, I tried it a couple of times and then didn't bother.  I doubt I would be serving beans to anyone who had part of a colon missing though. Doesn't seem worth it.

Have you considered freezing cooked beans in amounts that work for you.  That is what I do.  I cook a whole pound but then freeze it in 2 or 1 cup batches.  Then I toss it into whatever I am making. It's very easy. I also make hummus and refried beans and freeze it in muffin tins. Then I pop out the frozen hummus and put it in a bag and just pull out what we need

• Like 1

Yeah, I've frozen them before and it worked fine, but canned beans will be even more convenient. I want them to be truly something I can open and use last minute and not even have to worry about setting out a few hours earlier. Plus, you know, an opportunity to justify owning that huge pressure canner and propane burner, LOL... 

• Like 1

I also suggest freezing.  I freeze ours in re-used plastic deli pint containers.  So even if I completely forget I need beans until the last minute, I can pop the whole frozen brick out of the deli container into a bowl of hot water (to melt the water) and drain.

I have tried combo but did not notice a difference.  I do soak mine with a couple tablespoons of whey (skimmed off of yogurt) or just actual yogurt. That does seem to help.

I am itching to make my own canned beans as well, so I'm right there with you on the convenience factor.  I have pressure canned bean soup and baked beans before.  The soup wasn't a huge hit, but the baked beans were great! 

That said, I've never heard of using kombu with beans to reduce the gas.  I have heard of using epazote to reduce gas- it's a dried herb (you can find it at Penzeys) that reminds me a bit of oregano in taste.  I've used the epazote, but can't say that I've noticed any reduction in gas for my efforts, and I'm not a big fan of the flavor either.

I did a few quick searches, and it seems that the recommendation for the kombu is to cook the seaweed with the beans.  So I would use the kombu while they are cooking, but I would chop it up like an herb and then can the beans with the kombu in it.   It's the amino acids in the kombu that help break down the gas factor. 

C'mon people, I really just have an itch to use my pressure canner! You will not dissuade me.  :lol:

What stops me from canning my dried beans is that the process time is 90 minutes for a quart, 75 minutes for a pint.  I fully understand the great desire to do so.  I am hoping that I do not succumb to it because it is so time-consuming.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I came across it in a search hoping to figure out how much Kombu to add to each can of home canned beans. I don't cook them before I can them and find the texture is much improved over cooking them and then canning them for such a long processing time.

I wanted to share about sprouting beans and the improvement in gas. I soak them overnight and then drain them and put them, covered, in the fridge for at least 24 hours, and up to a week (sometimes rinsing them to keep them wet) - until you see a few little bean shoots pop out. Most of them grow a little sprout but only a few develop enough to break the skin. I've been doing this before I pressured can or cook our beans and it has made a big difference. Something to look into!

I did want to add: Kombu adds some flavor (salty) and a good bit of nutrients to the beans, kind of an added bonus. I used to buy a brand of canned beans (Eden Organic) that adds Kombu to their canned beans. I can't say that I noticed a huge difference in that brand as far as gas goes. Sprouting the beans has made a much bigger impact.

• Like 1

I have been told to use the kombu when cooking, but I've never found it to make a difference. That said, no one in my house suffers from gas after eating beans, and we eat a LOT of beans. So, I tried it a couple of times and then didn't bother. I doubt I would be serving beans to anyone who had part of a colon missing though. Doesn't seem worth it.

Have you considered freezing cooked beans in amounts that work for you. That is what I do. I cook a whole pound but then freeze it in 2 or 1 cup batches. Then I toss it into whatever I am making. It's very easy. I also make hummus and refried beans and freeze it in muffin tins. Then I pop out the frozen hummus and put it in a bag and just pull out what we need

Well that was a first lol. I went to "like" this post and realized I had already "liked" it...in 2015. Apparently I agreed with this post then and I still agree with it today. 😀