Menu

I can't decide what I am!

BMW

I used to be hard core conservative Republican... but the recent administration has totally frustrated me and I don't believe in their economics too much. I remember being a lower class american family daughter of about 10 yrs of age and writing President Reagan a letter telling him that we were poor and broke and Christmas was coming soon and how sad I felt because there was a lot of wealth out in my country but that I was going to be disappointed at Christmas with very little for our family... I laugh a bit remembering that... but it's not too funny in some ways... it's not the materialism - it's not the lack of a fun gift - it's the lack of general funds and pocket money. Now I find myself looking around and seeing a lot of us in that same place... general funds are gone and we can barely spend money on gasoline...

That said, I am very blessed to have no debt and our bills do get paid each month.

But, back to my topic... I am not a Republican anymore.

But, I am not a Democrat. I do respect some of their platform... but I cannot swallow some of the controversial, liberal stands... I cannot align myself with a party that will not let my high school daughter have a Tylenol when she is suffering from a major head ache, but will slip her out of school to abort a child... and a few other peeves of mine. And although I have seen statistics and reports that show Democrats balancing the budget much better than Republicans, I don't like big government...

I just don't know what I am, politically...

So, can you NOT tell me what you are, but what you stand for? Meaning, is your political stand one that taxes the rich and supports welfare programs... or what? This is really a genuine political basics question... kind of like, politics 101, I just don't agree with either party and don't want to vote for either party and I don't know enough about other options... and if there were other options, such as a 3rd party candidate that wouldn't win, but would receive votes from those of us who want our vote to reflect our politcal preferences... well, how can I know what that 3rd party believes about the major issues our country is facing?

So, please share with me - I'd be happy to look at articles, web sites, etc.

Thanks,

Bee

Who finds herself very politcally uneducated right now

And sorry for the rambling...

Hi Bee. Some time ago, Rosie posted a link to a quiz which might help you determine where you fall on the political spectrum: http://politicalcompass.org/

But I also wanted to ask you about this:

I cannot align myself with a party that will not let my high school daughter have a Tylenol when she is suffering from a major head ache, but will slip her out of school to abort a child...

I'm just not sure what you're referring to here. Could you please explain?

Who says you have to be Republican, Democrat or Independent? I vote for the candidate. I just educate myself about them through the internet and vote for the one who most lines up with what I believe and I think will do a good job. Hope that helps!

Hi Bee. Some time ago, Rosie posted a link to a quiz which might help you determine where you fall on the political spectrum: http://politicalcompass.org/

But I also wanted to ask you about this:

I'm just not sure what you're referring to here. Could you please explain?

I hadn't seen this before....thanks for reposting the link...I fall in about the same spot as Ghandi...LOL :D

Greta,

What I meant by my Tylenol comment was that, generally speaking Democrats support abortion and also support teens rights to not have parents informed of abortions. In the two states that I have lived in, abortion assistance has been offered through the middle and high schools and parents are not informed if this takes place. So, my daughter can be taken to get an abortion, but, also in both states at the schools, Tylenol or other pain meds used for head aches, are not allowed to be given... To me, that is wrong... and I cannot vote against my conscience or align myself with a political party that promotes that agenda.

I have a hard time with the "lesser of two evils"... meaning, can I decide to vote Democrat because I am also opposed to the war situation and might not like a Republican's war plans? Are infant lives more valuable than soldiers lives or vice versa? It just gets all muddled in my mind...

And this board is good for showing different sides and views of these types of things...

Just more thoughts,

Bee