Menu

Are adverbs disappearing from spoken English?

JumpyTheFrog

I can't tell you how often I am watching something on Netflix and the characters seem unware of adverbs. "He drove slow" or "think different" (yes, I know that used to be an Apple motto). It happens so frequently (or "frequent" if I were one of these characters) that I am starting to wonder if adverbs are slowly being phased out of the language.

"Drive safe" is one that gives me pause.  Appreciating the good intention though, I do not pull out my red pen for editing.

I suspect that there has always been a difference between the written and spoken forms of English. So while the "ly" disappears from verbal exchanges, we will continue to see adverbs used correctly (or over used as is often the case) in written English.

• Like 2

"Slow" and many similar words have been used as adverbs in standard English for centuries. Shakespeare and Milton use "slow" as an adverb; Thackeray even uses "drove slow." It's not so much an alteration in adverbial usage as a gradual reassignment of certain non-"-ly" adverbial forms to a category of informal usage only.

• Like 4

I was thinking about that this afternoon as I was planting up a new flowerbed in front of the house.  The little voice in my head was saying, 'I mustn't plant the lavender too deep', then wondering about 'deep' vs. 'deeply'.  Often when an adjective is used in lieu of an adverb, there is an understood missing section to the sentence.  Just as when an American says, 'I'm going to hear the Symphony' s/he means 'the Symphony Orchestra', not a piece of music in the form of a symphony, so I was probably thinking 'I mustn't plant the lavender (such that it ends up) too deep.'

• Like 1