Menu

Help me pick honors geometry for this child

i did look at the threads on geometry, but I could use a little more help. I am looking for honors-ish geometry for ninth grade. DD has used Saxon for several years. She likes its clean-ness, and she doesn't find it particularly challenging, maybe because of the incremental changes. Nothing's been a huge step. She's highly visual, highly creative, good at spatial stuff. She tends toward easily distractible but does thrive on an appropriate challenge, although I think she would prefer something clear and not too "intuit it yourself." She does like algebra and says it's calming to her, but I think her brain will appreciate geometry as well. I think Saxon does have a dedicated geometry book, but I guess I'm unsure if I want that. Maybe I want more challenge for her? Maybe I just want to expose her to something a little different?

I keep seeing AoPS mentioned, but I'm unsure as to whether it would be just right or overwhelming for her. I'm pretty comfortable with math myself, although spatial stuff isn't my favorite (I prefer algebra), but between my skills, DH's skills (he's very spatial), and my dad (former AP math teacher, and he's readily available for help via phone or Skype), I'm pretty sure we can do just fine, so it doesn't have to be written to the student quite as much as Saxon is. I don't want to outsource this class at all, and I don't think I need video instruction like MUS has. So, given all of that, can you tell me what you think I should investigate more closely?

AoPS is the ultimate in honors geometry for the strongly visual-spatial student.

It is written to the student but obviously not in the same manner as Saxon.  If you are looking for encouragement to try AoPS, you have come to the right place.  There are a number of threads that you may find helpful (try googling "aops geometry" site:welltrainedmind.com).  I could share plenty more about AoPS if you have questions.

If you need to step down on the challenge level, I'd probably look at Jacobs, 2nd edition.  I haven't used Jurgensen; though it's well-regarded for rigor level and cleanly laid out, it seems to have a more traditional, sequential approach.

• Like 1

I am not familiar with AoPS Geometry in particular, but I own four of the books. The problem solutions are very thorough, often showing different ways to arrive at the answer. I think AoPS, if your child is looking for a challenge, would be a good honors program.

• Like 1

These are good endorsements -- thank you! I like the samples of AoPS geometry on their site. I could see her liking that. Since geometry is so different anyway, I think I'd really like to take the year to try something different, if for no other reason than to give her a different approach.

Of course, I'll probably change my mind back and forth fifty times between now and then, but it does sound like I should seriously consider AoPS. :)

She tends toward easily distractible but does thrive on an appropriate challenge, although I think she would prefer something clear and not too "intuit it yourself."

The "not too intuit it yourself" may be a struggle for her. AOPS does require a tolerance for frustration and the ability to apply concepts (which have been taught) creatively in combinations that have not been explicitly taught. The problems are not straightforward and many are taken from competitive math contests.

If you she can tolerate the struggle, she will learn a lot. Just be aware that struggle is normal, not a sign that you picked the wrong book.

• Like 1

The "not too intuit it yourself" may be a struggle for her. AOPS does require a tolerance for frustration and the ability to apply concepts (which have been taught) creatively in combinations that have not been explicitly taught. The problems are not straightforward and many are taken from competitive math contests.

If you she can tolerate the struggle, she will learn a lot. Just be aware that struggle is normal, not a sign that you picked the wrong book.

Okay, this is good to know. Is it the kind of thing where DH or I would be able to give hints or ask leading questions? Struggle is okay, beneficial, even, but I don't want her totally overwhelmed. She's good at pulling bits and pieces together, so I feel like this kind of challenge would work for her, if it's not jumping in too much.

Jurgensen is customizable for different levels as you can do the A & some of the B problems for regular Geo. If you go all the way through A, B, & C problems, it is considered "challenging" (not to the AOPS level!).

If you've already been through the Epic Thread of Geometry & the pinned High School Math thread, you know more than me. :-)

We're using Jurgensen this year, but are only in Chapter 2.

• Like 1

Okay, this is good to know. Is it the kind of thing where DH or I would be able to give hints or ask leading questions? Struggle is okay, beneficial, even, but I don't want her totally overwhelmed. She's good at pulling bits and pieces together, so I feel like this kind of challenge would work for her, if it's not jumping in too much.

The book has hints available, and you could always peek at the solution and give her extra hints.

• Like 1

The book has hints available, and you could always peek at the solution and give her extra hints.

That sounds really great! Thank you!

Jurgensen is customizable for different levels as you can do the A & some of the B problems for regular Geo. If you go all the way through A, B, & C problems, it is considered "challenging" (not to the AOPS level!).

If you've already been through the Epic Thread of Geometry & the pinned High School Math thread, you know more than me. :-)

We're using Jurgensen this year, but are only in Chapter 2.

I glanced through the threads but didn't know enough to evaluate them much. Now that I have some ideas of where to start, I'll see if they can give me more. Thanks for the suggestion for Jurgensen too!

Do we need a graphing calculator for Geometry? I'm sure we can use a graphing calculator app, but at some point, I guess they'll need to be used to the calculator for testing and college classes? Just wondering when I need to put that in my budget. Maybe not until Algebra 2? :)

Do we need a graphing calculator for Geometry? I'm sure we can use a graphing calculator app, but at some point, I guess they'll need to be used to the calculator for testing and college classes? Just wondering when I need to put that in my budget. Maybe not until Algebra 2? :)

Nope.

My DH & I are both engineers & neither of us had a graphing calculator in college. I was required to use one in my PreCalc class in high school, but the school let us borrow them. On the rare occasion I wanted to check something I'd done with a graphing calculator, I used a friend's. Nowadays, there are free programs on the 'net if you need them.

But, I wouldn't (personally) use one for geometry or Alg II. My kids will learn how to use one just like they eventually learn how to use a calculator & a computer. I just don't believe in introducing them early.

• Like 1