Menu

Astronomy - Castalia house???

Good morning Hive!

I am attempting to put together next year's schedule, and my son decided he wants to study astronomy. I like WTM's plan of study, but I need more hand holding and accountability. Has anyone used Great Courses as curriculum? Do they have projects, tests, writing assignments, etc?

I really like the look of  this:

http://www.castaliahouse.com/downloads/category/homeschool/

Anybody know anything about them? I can't find reviews or comments or anything. It is a secular program though they offer a biblical component. Looking at the samples, I'm not really sure what direction they are taking with that component.

​

I'd love to hear what others have done for Astronomy.

If you are looking for secular, I would probably look elsewhere. The teacher's guide says that "this material is highly supportive of biblical belief." This is in reference to the main text, not the Biblical Supplement, which is extra.

If you want to use the Great Courses, Fillipenko's 96-lecture Understanding the Universe course is really excellent and well worth a full science credit. He publishes a text as well, or you can use any of the intro-for-nonmajors texts that can be picked up inexpensively on Amazon. The one we used (Comins) even had "lab" assignments using the free World Wide Telescope, as well as online quizzes.

• Like 1

DD and I are currently auditing Introduction to Solar Systems Astronomy through ASU on edX.  It's considered a 4 credit college lecture and lab class.  It crammed into just eight weeks, and requires about 24 hours of work a week, but it might become an archived course, or it might be offered again in the future.

• Like 1

If you want to use the Great Courses, Fillipenko's 96-lecture Understanding the Universe course is really excellent and well worth a full science credit. He publishes a text as well, or you can use any of the intro-for-nonmajors texts that can be picked up inexpensively on Amazon. The one we used (Comins) even had "lab" assignments using the free World Wide telescope, as well as online quizzes.

Do you know if Fillpenko's lectures assume any specific prior knowledge in any area?

Do you know if Fillpenko's lectures assume any specific prior knowledge in any area?

I asked DS, who did it in 9th grade, and he said he didn't feel that it assumed any prior knowledge of astronomy. I know he was looking up some of the math & physics as he went along, but he said that wasn't really a prerequisite. It is definitely a meaty course, it's not a light little survey of the solar system type thing — the lectures are basically the same Intro to Astronomy class that Filippenko teaches at Berkeley. But by the same token, as a "101" type class, the assumption is that students will be coming from a wide variety of backgrounds, so the tough stuff is explained as he goes along.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

If you are looking for secular, I would probably look elsewhere. The teacher's guide says that "this material is highly supportive of biblical belief." This is in reference to the main text, not the Biblical Supplement, which is extra.

If you want to use the Great Courses, Fillipenko's 96-lecture Understanding the Universe course is really excellent and well worth a full science credit. He publishes a text as well, or you can use any of the intro-for-nonmajors texts that can be picked up inexpensively on Amazon. The one we used (Comins) even had "lab" assignments using the free World Wide Telescope, as well as online quizzes.

I've been looking for an astronomy course for my ds. I followed up on the Castalia House link upthread and just wanted to come back and add some additional info. I followed the links to the textbook used and found this:

Q. Are you creationists?

A. This is really a two-part question.

Q. Are you Young-Earth Creationists?

A. No.

Q. Do you believe our universe was created?

A. Yes. One of the beliefs that forms the foundation of the big bang theory is that our universe suddenly appeared out of ‘nothing.’ Something from nothing means creation, and, as scientists, we have to go where the evidence takes us. Right now science says our universe came about as an instance of creation.

Q. Are you proponents of intelligent design?

A. As a scientific theory, no. However, as Christians we obviously believe in some form of intelligence that created the universe. Since the dominant theory of cosmology maintains that our universe originated in an instance of creation, the next question that demands our attention is whether the cause of creation was conscious (God) or unconscious (super-nature). Modern physics and biology offer an abundance of evidence (but no proof) in favor of a purposeful intelligence and little or none against. Again, as scientists, we have to go where the evidence takes us.

https://sixdayscience.com/about-us/faqs/

And, from the course IG: 

1.3 Note on Biblical Perspective This course is presented from an agnostic perspective, without overt regard to any particular religious or philosophical tradition. However, it must be emphasized that nothing in this course contradicts the Bible. In fact, this material is highly supportive of biblical belief. This course includes an optional Biblical Supplement and corresponding lessons at the end of some of the chapters for those parents interested in incorporating a scriptural perspective into the course.

It seems to be very well organized and lab intensive, and I like the idea of having labs and exams already prepared. I think it might be worth a closer look for people looking for a high school astronomy course.

Edited by Rockhopper