Menu

Block Scheduling - anyone do this?

I have an 8th grader and a 6th grader.  We have trouble fitting in everything plus electives like art or computer programming.  Those seem to get pushed off a lot.  Both do different levels of Sonlight for history and Literature.  My 8th grader is doing Algebra 1 and that takes her much longer.  Each kid has a foreign language as well.  I was debating if I should try to do block scheduling for history and science?  Both are avid readers, so the reading assignments for Sonlight are not a challenge.  It's going over questions, getting time line and maps done plus all the other subjects.  On a day we have piano or my 6th grader does an online Latin class, it seems to throw everything off.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how to schedule differently or if block scheduling worked for them?

Yes. I love it. We do approximately one month blocks, though this year, I'm not running out that way. Just working tool we're done, then moving on to the next thing.

I love it. They can really immerse themselves in each subject in a way that they couldn't when they did more subjects at once. Everything gets done, because there's nothing else in the way. They have much better retention.

Do you do 4 day weeks for science and  history and Friday is a catchup or on Friday do you just start the next block and rotate which weeks you do science or history 3x that week?  Both kids have history and science lesson plans for every day.  I'm trying to figure out which would be best.

We are doing blocks for history and science and it is working well, thiugh my kids are younger than yours. Chelli has several good posts about this. We go in two week blocks, but I might switch to 4 weeks. We do 4 x a week. The fourth day is often Friday afternoon and ends up being a lighter day or one for projects.

We block history and science and cultural geography in 10 week blocks each. Right now we are halfway through our 10 week block of science, next we will do 10 weeks of history, then 10 weeks of geography, and finish up with 10 weeks of history. We are learning tons more this way.