Menu

Morning money "savings" ;)

creekland

This morning hubby and I got up and went into town for the community blood screening tests (voluntary and CHEAP - tons of screenings for $32, $47, or $59 pending if one wants just basics, + H1ac, and + Thyroid, respectively - far less than just the Thyroid costs at the local lab since it's $80 for the one test).

And afterward, of course, we have to go out for breakfast... then stopped by the local Farmer's Market (type place) for a bottle of local Riesling, cheese curd, sugar free (without artificial sweeteners) Black Raspberry, Strawberry Rhubarb, Cherry jams, Salsa, Chow Chow, and a super delicious locally made soft pretzel (far better than Auntie Anne's for those who like these things - and Auntie Anne's are good).

On our way home I mentioned to hubby how nice it was for our local community to offer inexpensive blood testing (100% open to the public) as I don't think most places do.  His response?

"Inexpensive?"  Let's see... it was $11 for breakfast, $18 for the Riesling, $9 for the cheese curd, $25 for the jams, salsa, & chow chow, and $2 for the pretzel.  How much did we save again?"   :lol:

Actually, I'm pretty sure we still came out ahead - but maybe not quite as much as if we'd just come straight home.  But it's tastier now!   :coolgleamA:

If any of y'all who are local or are traveling through Hanover on a trip (Thurs - Sat), those pretzels are the best we've ever had.  It was our first time trying them there... and we've started a new tradition.  We already are determined to take our boys there for them over Christmas break since we share all terrific "finds" with them.  The sugar free jams are great too, but we've had them before.  That's actually what I stopped by for (replacements).  The rest was from our wandering and preferences for supporting local shop/business owners with our $$$.

• Like 7

I have been wanting to try the Hanover Market. My dd's friend's godmother sells fried rice and other dishes there. I got to try the her food at the friend's graduation party. Am trying to work it out to go when other dd has a game in that area. I also want to hit the Clark's shoe sale.

Glad you had a fun morning!

• Like 1

"Inexpensive?"  Let's see... it was $11 for breakfast, $18 for the Riesling, $9 for the cheese curd, $25 for the jams, salsa, & chow chow, and $2 for the pretzel.  How much did we save again?"   :lol:

And $$$ for the plane ticket so I can check this place out! 

Looks like a fabulous market with a great community service screenings to boot, but I would definitely not save myself any money by flying there to check it all out. :)  

It would be a fun vacation, though! 

• Like 1

Those were necessary expenses.  You can't let someone suck the life force out of you and then NOT refuel after!  

My thoughts exactly!  Besides, they already got what they need to check numbers, so what we put in for replacements won't count.   :coolgleamA:  There'll be another one in Jan or March (pending what I sign us up for), so all tasty unhealthy stuff we put in today will be out of our system by then.

And $$$ for the plane ticket so I can check this place out! 

Looks like a fabulous market with a great community service screenings to boot, but I would definitely not save myself any money by flying there to check it all out. :)  

It would be a fun vacation, though! 

The community blood screens are at a nearby (still Hanover) medical place and they offer them on certain Friday and Saturday mornings.  It's packed either day (we've done both in the past), but you sign up for a time slot so it all works out pretty well.  Many, many folks know what a value this is and make it a point to drive to it.  I'm not certain any arrive by airplane, but if you're so inclined, BWI or Harrisburg work.   ;)  Results get posted online within a couple of days or you could call and make other arrangements.

The market opens at 8 on Saturdays or 9 on Thursdays/Fridays for your planning purposes.  There are plenty of eating (in house) options there as well as quite a bit of hand made things from furniture to crafts to wines, etc.  Any wine can be tasted before selecting too.

Vacation-wise, Gettysburg is 20 minutes west.  The AT is just a little west of there too.  Lancaster about an hour east.  Baltimore about an hour south.  DC probably 1 1/2 hours south.  Hershey about 75 min north, etc.  There are multiple options.  Think of what you could do with all your "saved" money!

And if interested, there are plenty of boardies in the area.   :coolgleamA:

ps  I know you were joking about the trip... but just FYI!  ;)

My thoughts exactly!  Besides, they already got what they need to check numbers, so what we put in for replacements won't count.   :coolgleamA:  There'll be another one in Jan or March (pending what I sign us up for), so all tasty unhealthy stuff we put in today will be out of our system by then.

The community blood screens are at a nearby (still Hanover) medical place and they offer them on certain Friday and Saturday mornings.  It's packed either day (we've done both in the past), but you sign up for a time slot so it all works out pretty well.  Many, many folks know what a value this is and make it a point to drive to it.  I'm not certain any arrive by airplane, but if you're so inclined, BWI or Harrisburg work.   ;)  Results get posted online within a couple of days or you could call and make other arrangements.

The market opens at 8 on Saturdays or 9 on Thursdays/Fridays for your planning purposes.  There are plenty of eating (in house) options there as well as quite a bit of hand made things from furniture to crafts to wines, etc.  Any wine can be tasted before selecting too.

Vacation-wise, Gettysburg is 20 minutes west.  The AT is just a little west of there too.  Lancaster about an hour east.  Baltimore about an hour south.  DC probably 1 1/2 hours south.  Hershey about 75 min north, etc.  There are multiple options.  Think of what you could do with all your "saved" money!

And if interested, there are plenty of boardies in the area.   :coolgleamA:

ps  I know you were joking about the trip... but just FYI!   ;)

You're making me homesick... :)

• Like 1

You're making me homesick... :)

Sorry - sort of - it might depend upon where you live now.  ;)

I go back to my hometown/area at least once per year if I can (and enjoy my favorite tastes and sights), so I can understand the wistful part, but I prefer living here to where I grew up overall.  Not sure what your situation is...

Sorry - sort of - it might depend upon where you live now.   ;)

I go back to my hometown/area at least once per year if I can (and enjoy my favorite tastes and sights), so I can understand the wistful part, but I prefer living here to where I grew up overall.  Not sure what your situation is...

I was *mostly* kidding about the homesickness.  It is a beautiful area of the country, though...

It's hard to get back home with all of the kids and their extra-curricular schedules.  I am planning to go home later this year for a wedding.

When I went away to college, I used to go to the store for York Peppermint Patties every time I felt homesick.  I was "homesick" a lot. ;)

I have learned to make gluten-free versions of most of my favorite foods.  (I would have to make them myself anyway; no one here knows how to make decent pickled eggs or chicken corn soup.)  Funnel cakes are a hassle, but do-able.  I haven't figured out fassnachts yet...

• Like 1