Menu

Mandolin ?

laundrycrisis

Are there any WTM folks here who play mandolin ?

We just got one last weekend.  DS1 and I have been playing violin for almost six years, and we are getting into the mandolin pretty easily.  

I knew nothing about mandolins.  We went to pick up a ukulele that had just been repaired, so we could finally learn to play it, and ended up bringing home a mandolin.  We just picked one that sounded nice.

I have been playing some Suzuki violin music on it, and some Irish and common fiddle songs.  

I decided I want lighter strings, at least for the G and D, and I ordered some to try tonight.  

I don't know anyone who plays mandolin.  Anyone ? 

My little one wanted to play mandolin, but I couldn't find a teacher to take a child as young as her (at the time, she was a young five). She wants to start soon. I look forward to hearing about the mandolin players as she's very eager to learn mandolin on top of violin.

I don't play but have friends that do. They also play guitar and say the mando is much more rational and easier to learn to play better.

I hope you have a wonderful time with it!!

I don't but dh plays at an elementary level. He is a percussionist with a couple bands and he got one in a barter. He plays it well enough that he uses it occasionally at gigs. He really likes it and would play it more often but he doesn't have the time.  Same story with the bass and banjo sitting around here, lol. He can plunk out a few songs but isn't anywhere near mastery. These days, he says that is what retirement is for, lol.