Menu

if you have a kid on the severe end of the spectrum...

lifesadream83

I watch my neighbors foster son on a semi regular basis.  He is 3 and is on the severe end of the spectrum, has seizures.  So far I have figured things out on my own.  So far I bring down my daughters mattress for him to "cool down" on when he flips out and he uses that willingly.  He LOVES trains so I make the train set off limits to all other kids while he is here (other wise he freaks out).   I had turned octonauts on for him because that is what my friend said he liked... He spiraled into a fit... I switched to baby einstein for my son and he is in love!  Is there anything else I can get or do for him that would comfort him while he is here.  I have read about swings... are there any free standing ones for indoors that don't require mounting?  Anything?  I would like to get to a point where I can school my kids while he is here LOL

Does he like tents/forts?  Those little folding pop up tents can be great for that age and are very easy to store.

Sensory bin.  If he is sensory seeking....sensory bins like Rice, green peas, beans, sand etc.  Lots of ideas on the internet for these.

The Mud Pies to Magnet book series have some great ideas for pre-school kids.

If you have an area for it, my dd used to love playing in a sink with shaving cream, gelatin, dishsoap and water, etc.  She would mix in a few plastic animals and play for a long time.  She made a huge wet mess, but it was easy to clean up. 

I would like to get to a point where I can school my kids while he is here LOL

I don't think you'll be able to school while you watch him. My sons were masters of speed destruction at that age. The only break I got was when they were asleep and we had to keep vigilant to noise at night because GW would get up at 3am.