Menu

Recommended reading on Alzheimer's?

Laurie4b

I'm sorry. (((hugs)))

I found many books helpful. I just searched on Amazon and started buying. Depending on the relationship, the stage, the living situation, etc, different books are more helpful than others. I think the key is to buy a couple and start reading. 

There are some good "support" groups out there on Facebook, etc, but be aware that active members often have STRONG opinions about what you should do and should not do. When I started delving into those groups, I was very discouraged and disheartened when people jumped ALL OVER me responding to my plans to move my mom in with our family. I was told I'd ruin my marriage and make my kids hate me. I was told over and over that ALZ necessarily leads to aggressive, dangerous, nasty behaviors. Etc. Etc. When I explained that my family wouldn't be martyrs because my mom had money to pay for all the help we could want and all the practical assistance (addition to our house, etc.), then I was bragging . . . I finally just shut my mouth. It was a bummer. Lots of people have such strong, almost violent, opinions about what everyone ELSE should do . . . It was actually similar to the negative reactions one often gets about homeschooling -- I think it is threatening to the status quo to actually welcome a loved one in to our family and home instead of stashing her in a nursing home . . . So, anyway, if you aren't going to use a facility (for now), then be aware of who you are confiding in online, as you might find yourself getting "smacked down". FWIW, having Mom with us was exactly the right thing to do, brutally hard, but I wouldn't change it for the world. My mom's was a rapid progressing disease, and she died 3 years after diagnosis. 

Also, get the legal POAs, etc in place NOW. Yesterday. The day before yesterday. Also, take over finances ASAP. Like yesterday. I guarantee there are errors happening and/or scams being fallen prey to. 

• Like 1