Menu

Can you change a tire on your car? Do you have a roadside assistance service?

Tap

changing car tires/roadside assistance  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Can you change a car tire if you are only person in the area able to do it?

• Yes, I can and have done it myself at least once.
    • Yes, I know how, but have never had the need to. I would fix it myself(not call for assistance).
    • Yes, I have the owners manual and I figure that I can do it by following the directions if I needed to.
    • Yes, I could do it.... but I would call AAA, other road service, DH or a friend.
    • No, I cannot or would not try to do it. I would call for assistance no matter what, even if it was for a tow truck.
    • I don't drive
    • I have a disability that would make it very difficult. I would want to do it myself, but would need assistance.
    • other
  2. 2. Do you have AAA or another road side assistance program?

• I have AAA or another purchased assistance program, that we pay for ourselves.
    • I have AAA or another purchased assistance program, that is provided to us by someone else (family, work, etc), but I would buy it myself otherwise.
    • I have AAA or another purchased assistance program, that is provided to us by someone else (family, work, etc), I would NOT buy it myself otherwise.
    • I have a program that came 'free' with the car, my insurance policy, lease, or is provided free due to another purchase. If I didn't have this policy, I would buy an assistance program of some kind.
    • I have a program that came 'free' with the car, my insurance policy, lease, or is provided free due to another purchase. I would not buy it myself, I only accept it since it is provided free.
    • I have no assistance other than calling a friend or family member, possibly the kindness of a stranger.
    • I have no assistance other than the kindness of a random stranger.
    • If I could afford it I would have it, but I can't afford it...so we don't.
    • other.

I have this too.  I was going to use it, but before I did I called my car guy and he told me not to do it.  He said if there is any chance of repairing the tire that chance will be gone with the fix a flat stuff and that stuff can damage the rims too.  So I had it towed on a flatbed. 

Glad I decided to call!  The tired was repairable.  That saved money because on these cars with the tire sensors, once you bust a tire you have to also replace the sensor (cost me $130).  So all that just for a small hole in a tire!

I am thinking of getting a spare though.  Kinda dumb not to have one.  Although I can't change it myself anyway. 

My car has the fix a flat stuff and a pump too.  I've used it and had the tire patched afterwards.  They just clean out the fix a flat stuff.  It doesn't prevent the tire from being patched. 

I have changed several tires, and have helped/taught others when they had flat tires.

I have roadside coverage through our auto insurance that is almost free (about $2.00 per month), but they don't provide roadside assistance for flat tires, dead batteries, etc, just towing and locksmith (hired by local contractors, paid by me, but reimbursed by our insurance company).

My car has the fix a flat stuff and a pump too.  I've used it and had the tire patched afterwards.  They just clean out the fix a flat stuff.  It doesn't prevent the tire from being patched. 

Some places will not repair a tire after fix a flat has been used, since they can't guarantee that the patch/plug will hold. It created a coating on the intererior surface of the tire.  It also matters if you go strait to a repair shop or wait for a while. The fix a flat can be washed off easier if it is still a liquid, vs waiting for a while letting it dry first.  

If fix a flat dries on a rim, it is very, very hard to get off.  That can affect the future use of the wheel, because the next tire may not seat against it right.

It also plugs up air sensors.  If you car has an sensor to say you have a low tire, using fix a flat can cost you the price of the sensor.  The fix a flat can plug up the sensor, just like the hole in a tire.  Some times the sensor can be cleaned, but then you can't really guarantee that it still works right, so many shops will require you to replace that too. 

There can also be damage to the tire from the flat and/or using fix a flat, that makes the tire wear uneven and that can make it unfixable as well. 

So, both answers are right.  Fix a flat doesn't automatically make a tire unfixable, but it absolutely can. 

I could, I have, but I don't always choose to.  I used to have AAA long ago, but it got too expensive.  Now my car insurance provides roadside assistance at a nominal cost.  But I would do it myself if conditions were favorable.  As in, it's not 2am (away from home) and I'm not in a suit/heels etc.

My dad made sure I knew how before he'd let me get my driver's license.  That was a couple of moons ago and I've never had to use the skill.  Hubby and I have had one flat tire on the road and he took care of it.  Ditto with a couple we've had here at home.

I guess that's one nice perk of being married?

If I were by myself and he were home, I'd call him.  If not... well... we keep AAA for a reason.  ;)  I'd prefer calling them to dusting off brain neurons - esp if on a traveled road.