Menu

Secular "workbook" with grammar, writing, and literature for high school??

From the sample, Alpha omega lit workbooks look like ACE workbooks where you get spoon fed short bits of information and regurgitate it in true/false and fill-in-the-blank questions. It's not the sort of thing I'd recommend.

Instead, I would suggest just a regular literature textbook. My daughter has one (Glencoe American lit) with short stories, poems and excerpts that have a little segment at the beginning to set a context for the work and insightful short-answer and essay questions to answer afterwards. A student could work their way through an anthology like that and get a lot more out of it than the AO lit workbook.

Yes, get a regular literature textbook instead of a workbook. Any of the major public school publishers are going to be secular. I liked the liked the anthology choices in the one I bought for 9th grade from Textword Press last year, but have no experience with their 12th grade book.

A literature anthology will have readings and writing prompts, but not grammar.

For a grammar workbook, she can look for a copy of something like English Workshop or the Elements of Language workbook.

Some Language arts textbooks are pretty grammar heavy, like this one http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/047821

The one I used had a grammar review section and some proofreading exercises, but the focus was more on literary analysis and composition than the grammar.

It all depends on what the student in question needs.

We, personally, use McDougal Littel's "The Language of Literature", which is a secular literature textbook.  I told her that I would just give her that text and explain to her dd how to work through the book on her own. I have offered to assign and grade writing assignments.

The dd is familiar with using "workbooks" and wants that! I agree that workbooks are "spoon fed" and "fill in blanks" ... but considering this family and the situation this year... that might be the best fit.

I wonder if an ACT test prep book might fill her want for a workbook?