Menu

Job hunt - interview expectations

Pegasus

So, my older DD has been job hunting.  She has applied for several different positions and been to two interviews.  I have no expectations from the applications; I understand that those hiring can't take the time to contact everyone. However, is it too much to ask to hear back after an interview?

DD does try to follow up by phone about a week after the interview.  One woman was never available to come to the phone and didn't return DD's calls.  The second simply said that DD would be receiving a letter in the mail.  It's been a few more weeks now, no letter.

It's been a long time since I've had to do a job search. Is this the new normal?  Should DD continue to bother to try to follow up after an interview or just assume that "no word" means she didn't get the job?

Appreciate hearing from those with recent experience.

Thanks!

I think it is the new normal.  Although I don't recall hearing back unless I had gotten a job offer.  So maybe it's not all that new.  Last time DH went hunting (8ish years ago) he did not receive follow up of any kind from anyone unless they wanted to do another interview or there was an offer. 

I can kind of understand it if they have a lot of applicants. 

So, my older DD has been job hunting.  She has applied for several different positions and been to two interviews.  I have no expectations from the applications; I understand that those hiring can't take the time to contact everyone. However, is it too much to ask to hear back after an interview?

DD does try to follow up by phone about a week after the interview.  One woman was never available to come to the phone and didn't return DD's calls.  The second simply said that DD would be receiving a letter in the mail.  It's been a few more weeks now, no letter.

It's been a long time since I've had to do a job search. Is this the new normal?  Should DD continue to bother to try to follow up after an interview or just assume that "no word" means she didn't get the job?

Appreciate hearing from those with recent experience.

Thanks!

Most of the time my husband didn't hear back, even after an interview.  Once, he had not heard back in a week. So went on and it was nearly THREE weeks later they called to see if he could start right away. So very occasionally the process just runs very slow.

The last time I went through serious job hunting (5 years ago?) there was no notification of rejection.

I think that is normal now, but really frustrating to the applicant who went through the whole interview process. A lot of places now have rules about how many applicants can be chosen for an interview (resumes must be carefully targeted at each job to get to the interview level). So, if the limit is 8 interviews, I'm not sure why a form letter cannot be mailed or emailed to 7 applicants, but that just doesn't happen. 

• Like 1