Menu

ASL curriculum for elementary

athena1277

I am looking for ASL curriculum for elementary grades to use in co-op. Last year they used Signing Time, but the older kids hated it. I'm teaching it in an upcoming quarter and want something more age-appropriate. I am having trouble finding anything that isn't for babies/preK, adults, or deaf students. I really don't want to have to make the lessons from scratch. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be a video.

I am using ASL university (free) http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/lessons/lessons.htm for my 5th and 3rd grader, some of the topics are not relevant such as "Where do you work" "Are you Married", but over all its a solid spine and I like that there are videos with both deaf and hearing signers (the hearing folks are all college first year asl students) as well as assessments.We are also using a mix of supplementary material such:

American Sign Language for Kids and Adults v1 and V2

stories from ASLized on youtube

And music videos from DPAN (Deaf Proffessional Artists Network)

Also when my oldest balks at watching a story such as the 3 little pigs in ASL I remind him that part of the reason for doing so is BECAUSE he knows the story so well he can focus on the grammar, tempo, expression and use of signs.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Maybe look into the new ASL program put out by signing time. It is aimed at older elementary. It is brand new so I don't know much about it. It is called SignIt ASL.

ETA: when I taught ASL at our co-op it was a very small class and we played games to learn. I'd introduce vocab and then we'd play Candyland, Uno, or hangman.

Edited by Beaniemom
  • Like 1