Menu

History ... Fell behind in TOG. Skip ahead or plow through?

Last year, 6th grade, was the first homeschool year with my 12yo son.  He had only American history in grades 1-5.  I started with TOG Y1 (Ancient Civilizations) and did not even get half way through.

So now, in 7th grade, I am not sure the best way to make up this deficit.

- Skip the Greeks and Romans for now (pick them up in later years) and start in with Y2 (Middle Ages)?

- Go through TOG at an accelerated pace and try to finish both Y1 and Y2 in 7th grade?

- Buy a good Ancients textbook and have him read through it, then continue with TOG Y2?

Really not sure how much of an impact each of these choices will have down the road.

I would not accelerate TOG and I would not skip the Greeks and Romans.  Better just to work and plow forward, doing with engagement what you're doing.

Did the thing change that was holding you back?  If it's going to be the same thing this year, then you might want to find a more streamlined way to use TOG or get a textbook, as you say.  MOH or the K12 Human Odyssey texts would both be on-level and easy to implement.  You can pick up the K12 texts for a pittance used on amazon.  It might make a spine that would be easier for you to schedule with.  Just plan one chapter a week and then add in any perks from TOG that you have time for.

You're not behind.  Maybe you just had a bad year or have other things that eat time.  Be practical and just enjoy whatever you're doing.  There will always be more history to learn.  It's never-ending.  :)

• Like 2

If you just started homeschooling then I would take this year to finish Y1 and enjoy the journey, delve deeper, and follow rabbit trails.  If you really run out of material then maybe start the first unit of Y2 because it is the year with the most material to cover (imo).  Then your DS will be in 11th when you rotate back to Y1.  Many families choose to do this because the Y1 R literature is some of the most difficult to read, while the history is somewhat repetitive of the D year (just compare the discussion questions in your year plans to get a feel for what I mean).  My oldest did Y1 R last year in 9th, but she is my avid reader who will read everything in TOG and go looking for more.  My twins struggle a little more and won't start R with Y1. 

• Like 1

We've had years that moved slower than others, but continuing to plow through has been beneficial. Remember that in history, one thing leads to another, and later events are caused/impacted by earlier events, so skipping ahead isn't always going to be helpful as kids try to make connections. Plus, studying Greeks and Romans is just fun!