Menu

Need Online Highschool Biology Course Help Please!

Last minute change of plans so I now need to quickly find my 9th grader an online secular biology course. He needs guidance, feedback, and deadlines, so nothing self-paced.

I thought Kolbe would work until I saw the Catholic text that is part of the course. I am now looking at Texas Tech, Keystone, and American School, but I can't find much feedback on these.

Does anyone have experience with these, or any other course(s) to suggest?

I have read all through the biology thread here.

Laurel Springs is $990 for the year, so that is out of our budget. K12 is $850 for the year, also beyond our budget for one class. Everything else I have seen isn't secular.

Thank you for any reviews and suggestions you can offer!

Indiana University High School- accredited and about $200 per class.  I've not used any of their classes yet, but they are highly rated. 

Plato Learning- price will vary depending on number of classes.  Shop via HSBC for discount.  Delivery is dry and not a live teacher, but it can be done independently. 

I'm using a Pearon's textbook with the online e-text and supports, but it is not independent. I still have to make the assigments, monitor testing, etc.  I think full access to the e-text and supplements was around $100. 

• Like 1

My son did Biology through Texas Tech.  The lab disc was...well, it wasn't as good as it could have been, and with Bio the labs need to be sent in at testing time.  Over all it wasn't a bad course, though teacher involvement depends on the person running it and how many questions you have. ;)

What about Holt Biology course through the Well Trained Mind Academy?

That's the very first thing I looked at, but I had read reviews that it's an advanced Biology course, or maybe I read that on their website. It sounded like it goes at a fast pace, and my son has some learning disabilities that might make that hard. If anyone has input tor experience with it, I'd love to hear more about it!

My son did Biology through Texas Tech.  The lab disc was...well, it wasn't as good as it could have been, and with Bio the labs need to be sent in at testing time.  Over all it wasn't a bad course, though teacher involvement depends on the person running it and how many questions you have. ;)

Thanks for the feedback!