Menu

Where to get well-priced running shoes online?

MeAndTheBoys

And by well-priced, I mean $50 or less shipped.  I have a source for New Balance, Joe's New Balance, and if I watch the sales and deal of the days, I can always find a pair for under $40.  BUT they have been messing up one of my toenails and a friend told me the "toe box" is probably too shallow, I should try Nike or Brooks or another brand.

Any suggestions? 

thx

b

If your toe is hitting it's probably because the shoe is too small. Try ordering the next size up. I order from runners wear house but I never order a pair of running shoes online without trying out a pair IRL first....it's too risky. Also, I'm very price conscious but when it comes to running shoes often it's worth it to spend the extra money. Mine usually run about $150 but fit my feet perfectly and make my runs more enjoyable.

• Like 1

If your toe is hitting it's probably because the shoe is too small. Try ordering the next size up. I order from runners wear house but I never order a pair of running shoes online without trying out a pair IRL first....it's too risky. Also, I'm very price conscious but when it comes to running shoes often it's worth it to spend the extra money. Mine usually run about $150 but fit my feet perfectly and make my runs more enjoyable.

I have been wearing the next size up--and still lost two toenails this spring training for a 10K.  I don't know that I could handle running in a 10.5 :)

I did find a deal at D*ck's Sporting Goods--the boys need shoes too.  They didn't have the Nikes in-store, but they have free shipping and return on running shoes, so I guess we'll take the risk--  I'll have to check out runner's warehouse--

How often do you buy running shoes?  The price kills me----- I only run 30-40 miles/month, so a I shouldn't have to replace them TOOO often, right??

B

I wear a full size up from my regular shoe size. If I'm running 20 or 25 miles a week I usually replace them every 4 months or so. The brand I wear and LOVE presently are Newtons and they seem to wear faster than the brands I wore prior....but still totally worth the cost.

I have been wearing the next size up--and still lost two toenails this spring training for a 10K.  I don't know that I could handle running in a 10.5 :)

I did find a deal at D*ck's Sporting Goods--the boys need shoes too.  They didn't have the Nikes in-store, but they have free shipping and return on running shoes, so I guess we'll take the risk--  I'll have to check out runner's warehouse--

How often do you buy running shoes?  The price kills me----- I only run 30-40 miles/month, so a I shouldn't have to replace them TOOO often, right??

B

On avg. shoes are only good for 500 miles but that can depend on your weight.  You may need a wide.  Brooks are very good and Asics are good.   I tend to replace my shoes about every 4 months but that can change with how active I am.  You only get one pair of feet so treat them well.  

On avg. shoes are only good for 500 miles but that can depend on your weight.  You may need a wide.  Brooks are very good and Asics are good.   I tend to replace my shoes about every 4 months but that can change with how active I am.  You only get one pair of feet so treat them well.  

Well, I only weigh 125, and my feet tend towards narrow if anything, so who knows?  Being a casual runner, usually 2.5 or 3 miles a few times a week, a 10K being the longest I've run, my shoes sound like they should be lasting me a YEAR.

I guess I need to suck it up and go into the intimidating local running store sometime and talk to people who can direct me :)  If these Nikes I order fit me, I'll use them next--but build up the courage to get some in-person expert advice :)  Thanks for the push--

B

Well, I only weigh 125, and my feet tend towards narrow if anything, so who knows?  Being a casual runner, usually 2.5 or 3 miles a few times a week, a 10K being the longest I've run, my shoes sound like they should be lasting me a YEAR.

I guess I need to suck it up and go into the intimidating local running store sometime and talk to people who can direct me :)  If these Nikes I order fit me, I'll use them next--but build up the courage to get some in-person expert advice :)  Thanks for the push--

B

Nikes are great for a narrow foot.  I wonder if you might need a shoe toward the way you run.  The running store can help you with that.  

• Like 1

Nikes are great for a narrow foot.  I wonder if you might need a shoe toward the way you run.  The running store can help you with that.  

I know they can :) and we do have a great store in town.  Will check it out-- thanks! :)  A friend who is more of an informed runner than me suggested Nike when I told her about my troubles, so we'll see---

• Like 1

Thanks ladies!  All signs point to running store!!  And I am happy to read that maybe I'm changing my shoes too frequently.  I wouldn't balk at paying $100 for shoes if I only needed a pair every year--

Lots of sites marked and a plan to get checked out at my local store--

B

Try on lots of different kinds of shoes. I have narrow feet, but I like a big wide toe box. Saucony fits the bill for me. I used to get purple toe nails that eventually fell off while training for half marathons, but since I switched to the Kinvaras (they have less toe to heel rise, so be aware of that, which can really work your calves at first if you're not used to it) I have not had a single purple toenail. In fact, I was training for a full marathon and was doing long runs of 15-19 and not a single bruised toenail. I bought them slightly larger than my regular shoes, too. Best of luck finding the perfect shoe for you! Once you do, you can buy them online for less, but I like to support the running shoe store, because they are so helpful and they sponsor many, many races, some of which I run in.

• Like 1

Yes, another one that goes to a running store.

I have significant issues, and do this every few years because the shoes do change. On the left side I've had multiple surgeries on my knee and ankle, and likely will have a knee replacement and tendon transplant on the ankle down the road.

With the right shoes, I'm comfortable enough to alternate weights and cardio six days a week.

My son has fewer challenges, but does the same because he works out six days a week too.

Even though they're pricey, we buy the shoes at the running store when we're fitted, and then order replacements online.

I have to have new shoes every 4 months, so it does add up, but it's a must for me.

• Like 1

Thanks ladies! All signs point to running store!! And I am happy to read that maybe I'm changing my shoes too frequently. I wouldn't balk at paying $100 for shoes if I only needed a pair every year--

Lots of sites marked and a plan to get checked out at my local store--

B

I think most of us are saying you will need to buy a new pair more than once a year. You may be one of those who only need to buy two a year. Good luck.