Menu

Work experience during the school day!

So, I don't know if this has been mentioned on the boards before. My second DS who's 11 got a job this summer volunteering at a thrift shop. He works 2 mornings a week and loves it. No, he's not getting paid, but I figure the experience is invaluable. He's learning to run the cash register and do all sorts of things. Plus, the manager said if he ever needs a reference she'll give it for him. He works hard and really enjoys it. I would like to continue this into the school year, but I'm not sure what the "rules" are. I mean, he is enrolled in school. He would be doing his schoolwork in the afternoons. Has anyone had a child do this? Did you ever get into trouble?

Volunteering would fall under different rules than employment. My girls have volunteered during the day for years with no problems.

I think I may talk with the manager and see if he could come in during afternoons instead of mornings. It may be less obvious that he's not "in school when he should be."
  • Like 1

Interesting. Mine started volunteering regularly scheduled hours as well and will continue during the school year. It hadn't occurred to me to be concerned about it. I just see it as a perk of homeschooling, that he can be available when other kids aren't. I will choose to remain unconcerned. :)

• Like 1

Interesting. Mine started volunteering regularly scheduled hours as well and will continue during the school year. It hadn't occurred to me to be concerned about it. I just see it as a perk of homeschooling, that he can be available when other kids aren't. I will choose to remain unconcerned. :)

I guess I try too hard to "fly below the radar", if you know what I mean. I know what we're doing is legal, but there are people who don't like homeschoolers and like to cause trouble...