Menu

Time to panic...

DD was just approved for DE today.  Classes start in 11 days!  I scrambled to find a English Comp 101 class with any seats still left.  Originally the plan was Spanish 1, but this close to the start, only 1 evening class was still left and with her ADHD meds wearing off before then, it wouldn't be a good fit.  She is a pretty strong writer, so I'm hoping this will be a gentle start with a class she should be fairly prepared for.  We will shoot for Spanish next semester.  This will be her first classroom experience since 2nd grade outside of her summer camps.

• Like 5

If you don't find a 101 class, we found that history or sociology were good to start with. You may need to guide through the first couple of essays but she should get the hang of it. Check RateMyProfessor.com for professor reviews.

I wish your daughter good luck.

Sarah

• Like 2

If you don't find a 101 class, we found that history or sociology were good to start with. You may need to guide through the first couple of essays but she should get the hang of it. Check RateMyProfessor.com for professor reviews.

I wish your daughter good luck.

Sarah

Thank you for your reply. I did find a comp class with 2 spots left that will fit our schedule well. Unfortunately, all the comp 101 courses are listed as being taught by "a faculty" in the course book. We won't know who it is until she goes to class. I will definitely offer some help with understanding the assignments and proof reading (unless peer review is part of the assignment). I'm mainly concerned with her oral note taking skills, and there is nothing I can do to help her there.

:willy_nilly:

Aaauuugggghhhh!!!!

May I join you in your panic? Originally, "Time to Panic" was blocked in on my schedule for the weekend before Labor Day, where it usually happens at the formal start of our new homeschool year. However, as I finalize this year's selection books and classes, I find that having three in high school this fall requires a greater amount of panic time. Staying up late and getting up early is the only way we can manage to fit in all the necessary panic before the start of the new school year.  

Let's get to work, ladies!!! The panic continues.... :willy_nilly:

• Like 3

Breathe!  :001_smile:

Students will drop classes during the first week or so, and you may be able to move to a different section.  Ask if you can be put on a waitlist (if they have them).

DE has been great for us, but there's definitely and adjustment period.  Excited for your DD!

• Like 2

DE has been great for both my kids and very few things have been great for both my very different kids. There is no need to panic.

In fact, I flatly refuse to panic. Dd starts this semester of DE in 10 days and we move ds into the dorm for his freshman year of college in 7 days.   :w00t:  :crying: :willy_nilly:

Nope, I'm not panicking.

I'm not...

well maybe. :leaving:

• Like 2

I've already warned DD that if they do the whole "introduce yourself and tell us something interesting" that she better mention that she is two months from her black belt and not to breath a word about the fact she is a 15yo high school sophomore.  This is a girl that has the boys following her around a water park and she swims in a loose fitting rash guard and shorts with a large sun hat when she isn't in the water, they need to know not to mess with her.

• Like 3

DD was just approved for DE today.  Classes start in 11 days!  I scrambled to find a English Comp 101 class with any seats still left.  Originally the plan was Spanish 1, but this close to the start, only 1 evening class was still left and with her ADHD meds wearing off before then, it wouldn't be a good fit.  She is a pretty strong writer, so I'm hoping this will be a gentle start with a class she should be fairly prepared for.  We will shoot for Spanish next semester.  This will be her first classroom experience since 2nd grade outside of her summer camps.

This and the blackbelt thing are two big advantages going for her in my humble opinion. DS's CC places so much more importance on writing/ English placement than on math and faculty loves students who already write well. DS is young too but looks tall and tough (although he has no martial arts background and is a very gentle soul) and thankfully no one has bothered him yet.

Definitely have her demonstrate her prowess through intros but be prepared that intros might not happen unless they split them into smaller groups for projects or discussions. Strong "stay away from me" body language helps. DS's teachers take roll and whatever attendance/ orientation to the course stuff required (handing out syllabi etc...make sure she saves hers for each class!) and then they jump into the material straightaway. Once or twice classes were dismissed early on that first day so be prepared for that.

I was panicking last year but two semesters in, we both feel much more confident this time around. We had to really be gentle with ourselves for at least a month as we both took time to get used to the new routines and requirements. We are not early risers and the whole classes in the mornings schedule was literally a good wake up call, lol. Good luck!

• Like 1

This and the blackbelt thing are two big advantages going for her in my humble opinion. DS's CC places so much more importance on writing/ English placement than on math and faculty loves students who already write well. DS is young too but looks tall and tough (although he has no martial arts background and is a very gentle soul) and thankfully no one has bothered him yet.

Definitely have her demonstrate her prowess through intros but be prepared that intros might not happen unless they split them into smaller groups for projects or discussions. Strong "stay away from me" body language helps. DS's teachers take roll and whatever attendance/ orientation to the course stuff required (handing out syllabi etc...make sure she saves hers for each class!) and then they jump into the material straightaway. Once or twice classes were dismissed early on that first day so be prepared for that.

I was panicking last year but two semesters in, we both feel much more confident this time around. We had to really be gentle with ourselves for at least a month as we both took time to get used to the new routines and requirements. We are not early risers and the whole classes in the mornings schedule was literally a good wake up call, lol. Good luck!

I barely survived my own 8am class (notice no pluralizing because I was only stupid enough to try that once), so I don't think she will ever be in the earlier classes unless I just can't find another open.

These classes are limited to 20 students, so I'm not really sure if they will do the whole introduce yourself or not.  Even if they don't do it out loud, it seems like one of those "let's see what you can produce on the spot" first day of class writing assignment possibilities. 

I haven't decided what I will do with my time while DD is in class.  The boys are old enough to stay home now, so I won't have to deal with them.  The class is only 1hr 15min, so not really a long enough time to go anywhere or do anything.  I have a feeling that I will be hanging in the college library for that short time.

• Like 1

The class is only 1hr 15min, so not really a long enough time to go anywhere or do anything.  I have a feeling that I will be hanging in the college library for that short time.

I work or read and usually hang out on campus. The library is a bit of a hilly walk (it's a hilly campus) and I will have to pack up my laptop each time I go to the restroom (safety concerns) so now I just hang out in my car (easier to lock up laptop etc). We have shady parking!

I also use the time to run errands. Last semester I signed up for classes myself. I choose classes I like that coincide with DS's class times. I did a fun gym class with DS once too. :laugh: ETA: Credits are $46/hr here in CA. I probably wouldn't take classes at the CC if they cost more.

• Like 1

I've already warned DD that if they do the whole "introduce yourself and tell us something interesting" ....

They generally don't do this in college, I wouldn't worry. There's also a good chance in the freshman level classes that she won't be the only high school student anyway.

As for the full classes, find out the deadline for paying tuition. Oftentimes seats open up that day when students don't pay and your daughter can drop/add.

I work or read and usually hang out on campus. The library is a bit of a hilly walk (it's a hilly campus) and I will have to pack up my laptop each time I go to the restroom (safety concerns) so now I just hang out in my car (easier to lock up laptop etc). We have shady parking!

I also use the time to run errands. Last semester I signed up for classes myself. I choose classes I like that coincide with DS's class times. I did a fun gym class with DS once too. :laugh: ETA: Credits are $46/hr here in CA. I probably wouldn't take classes at the CC if they cost more.

That would rock.  Try close to $300 a credit hour for the standard student.  DE gets a discount and it is only $100 a credit hour.  This is at a 4yr college and not a community college.

• Like 1

That would rock.  Try close to $300 a credit hour for the standard student.  DE gets a discount and it is only $100 a credit hour.  This is at a 4yr college and not a community college.

Apologies for misunderstanding that it was a CC! We might have the several hundred a credit hour for uni DE issue soon.

The CCs here have an understanding with some of the local UCs to take uni DE at CC prices. He wasn't able to get this approved this semester because his particular CC is still negotiating this arrangement within their own administration. We're hoping that it will come through for DS next semester, and then it would really, truly be rocking awesome. :)

Good luck to your DD!

• Like 1

My daughter took Comp 101 as a DE student her sophomore year.  She was a reluctant writer at home, and I didn't push it very hard, so I was a little worried.  She did very well.  Turns out there was another homeschool DE student in the class... and he and my daughter were the top students.  

Hope your daughter enjoys it.

Oh, she's taken 3 DE classes and there were no introductions.