Menu

water sports people----life jacket question

Ottakee

We recently purchased some used wave runners.  They also came with tubes and there is the possibility of water skiing in the future but not sure.

I picked up life jackets for all but ds lost his already when he left it at the boat ramp and it was gone when they got back.

Are the more expensive life jackets much better or are they all quite similar if they are coast guard approved?  Is nylon or neoprene or ?? better?  High visibility is great as well.

Just wondering what to look for and where might have quality ones at good prices.  We have an extra he can wear for now but thinking that a nice life jacket might make a good Christmas present.

I have a really nice new one that is cut more for kayaking.  Should I wear a different one though for on the wave runner/tubing?

A jacket designed and fitted for the activity at hand is important. I would not use a jacket met for activity A for activity B.

That said, for younger kids - I really like the jackets to have a handle on the back so that you could pull them out of the water if they are unconscious or freaking out. Which probably would not be the case if you were water skiing or wave runners as the person is actually expecting to be in the water and/or get wet. So that option migh not even be available.

• Like 1

I wouldn't wear one of those (old fashioned to me) orange kinds that go over your head, and then have a belt.  I'd wear a vest-style one....preferably in bright colors for visibility.  Having said all of that, though, any life jacket is better than none.

I grew up in Michigan and we used to go tubing and water skiing a lot.  I'm pretty sure I used the same life jacket for both, but this was 30+ years ago.  If it's Coast Guard approved it should work as well.   

I'd check Target and Walmart now, because at least where I live, they're putting stuff like that on sale to make way for Fall stuff. (Even though people are on the water year round here.)

The more expensive jackets tend to be much more comfortable. I would only get them if you are fairly certain they won't be lost and you are using them a lot. We prefer the neoprene by far. They really need to be tried on. We do not lend our neoprene jackets out to friends, we have cheapies we let other people use. We've had too many good jackets zippers break with people who shouldn't be trying to get into them wearing them.

That said, there is nothing wrong with the cheaper nylon jackets. In fact, when my kids were tweens they wore the orange, super cheap, old fashioned, over the head type unless they were skiing. They perform better in accidents because even the adult type will flip the wearer face up when unconscious. (Not a feature you will find in a vest type jacket.) However, we used them because the vest type did not fit properly during those years. Not a single brand fit.

If you are looking for a really good, comfortable vest, you should check a boating store that carries skis, tubes, and such so that they can be tried on by the wearer. I've had some success with purchasing from Overton's. Their phone staff is usually quite knowledgable.

• Like 2

Lolly has great advice. Try on the jackets before buying.

We prefer neoprene. They've lasted longer than nylon (not as worn-looking over the years) and are more comfortable to wear. I think your son may have learned a life lesson (never leave your stuff alone on the boat dock) so I'd get him a nice one. We use the same life jacket for all water sports and haven't had a problem; it would get too expensive to have a variety of jackets for all four kids plus two adults. We just make sure little ones have a back handle and a belt between the legs.

Comfort is biggest difference between the really cheap life jackets and more expensive ones. And comfort can make the difference in a child to wear the life jacket willingly vs. one who tries to take it off and/or who struggles when you put it on him or her.

We've found some nice life jackets at reasonable prices Sam's Club.