Menu

Washington DC airports

Sunshine State Sue

The Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Center is a great stop near IAD.  Near DCA you can see the Pentagon and the memorial there or go up to Arlington National Cemetery.  If you like Vietnamese food, stop at Eden Center at Seven Corners.

• Like 3

how much time do you actually have? How many hours between arrivals? 

You might have enough time to drive between the airports or you might have enough time to do a lot. I live here so on a Saturday I could get off a plane, find my own car and get to the other airport , park and walk to arrivals within an hour. However, I do not need to pick up a rental car and I know all the roads. Driving in an unfamiliar place in an unfamiliar vehicle will probably take longer. 

You could stop at Tyson's mall. It is large. I generally only go to LLBean, but it does contain a full range of stores. I would add in time getting in and out of parking there and the congestion around that mall. 

The Udvar Hazy is a good choice, if you aren't planning to go with your parents during the trip. Parking there used to be $12, be aware of that. 

Lots of various neighborhoods in between if you feel like eating Vietnamese or Salvadoran, or...you name. 

Closer to DCA you could visit Arlington Cemetery  and the Pentagon memorial. If you had a shorter amount of time, I think I'd recommend that because you'd be close to that airport and so could judge whether you had time to stop better. 

• Like 1

Well, you don't have enough time to drive by and visit us, so some of these other suggestions will have to do as a next best option. :coolgleamA:   It might be wise to choose something closer to Reagan as that way you can SEE if you have time or not.  Traffic can be a bear around DC.  We actively avoid it when we can (metro or other routes), but it's not always possible due to where we go.

They're extremely far apart. If you have a ton of time, you can really stop anywhere. Uvar-Hazy is probably the best suggestion since it's way out in nowheresville, but really once you're at DCA, you're extremely close to a ton of classic DC stuff. But if you have to pick up a car or do anything along those lines, and then you have to drive all that way, then unless you're arriving very early and they're coming in very late in the afternoon, you'll probably not have enough time to do much.

• 2 weeks later...