Menu

Cute and simple beginner cursive that starts on the bottom line?

Sarah0000

I see HWOT Cursive and NAC recommend for young beginners, but from the samples it looks like the lowercase letters don't always start on the bottom line. Is there something suitable for a very young child that does? Now that my son has started printing more fluently he is starting to write his letters from the bottom. I don't know the names for different kinds of printing strokes, but he writes his letters without picking up his pencil, so I guess whatever is not the ball and stick method. He sees me write in cursive and has asked to learn that so he can write all his letters from the bottom. This is something we would do very slowly. A cute workbook would be best.

Have you seen The Rhythm of Handwriting cursive workbook? (Part of the Logic of English curriculum but can be purchased separately)

This is an excerpt from their website:

Cursive Program Highlights:

All lowercase letters begin on the baseline.

Uppercase letters only connect to the next letter if they end on the baseline.

The capital Q has been simplified to reflect the manuscript version.

Letter formation is closely matched to the manuscript font to facilitate ease in transition from one to another.

I second The Joy of Handwriting. It is simple but not cute. I think it is suitable for a very young child. Look for a back-to-homeschool sale at CurrClick.com to buy it for less.

A cute option is Scholastic Cursive Writing Made Fun and Easy - this link allows you to preview the whole book. Most letters start from the bottom, except a, d, g, q - and you can modify those easily. Here is a one-page printable sample from the book.