Menu

AP Classes before High School

My son did not take AP classes before high school, but he did take high school classes in middle school.  I had a code on the transcript that indicated that the course was a "high school course taken in middle school" and my school profile (in a section called "Credits") said "Consistent with [name of local school district] policy, high school courses completed during middle school are identified on the transcript and are given high school credit, and their grades are included in the GPA."  

• Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard AP classes aren't counted until high school.

For a course to be listed with the AP label on the transcript, AP must approve it through their course audit process. AP says that it will not approve the AP label for a course prior to 9th grade. However, you can just say the course is "Human Geography with AP exam" for example, instead of "AP Human Geography" on your transcript. Here's the official AP policy.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard AP classes aren't counted until high school.

Different colleges have different policies on which AP exams, if any, they will grant college credit for.  I have never seen any stipulations on the college policies I have looked at that state that if the AP exam is taken before high school, that credit won't be granted if that credit would be granted for the class if the exam were taken in high school. 

The purpose of the transcript is to communicate to colleges the student's course of study.  The class my son took was a College Board AP approved class, and I indicated it as such on his transcript.  I organize my kids' transcripts by subject, but I also indicate their ages when they complete each course.