Menu

Considering switching from R&S English to CLE

I have used R&S English (grammar) with my kids for two years.  For my daughter, it is a great fit.  She understands the lessons and grasps the concepts quickly.  She is able to apply what she is learning to her writing.  For my son, the story is completely different.  He cannot stand grammar, and it takes him forever to complete his work.  It is the bane of my homeschooling existence.  I think that a workbook style program would better for him.  How does CLE compare to R&S?  Is the learning student led?  Thank you!

ETA - My son will be in fourth grade.

CLE is written directly to the student. It is a workbook and contains spelling (we don't use it after 4th though). It is a different presentation though - spiral instead of mastery.

Do you not use CLE English or just the spelling component after fourth grade?  I looked through the samples online tonight, and I am really torn.  On the one hand, I like the rigor of R&S, but on the other hand, I am not sure if DS can handle it.  I can't decide if this is one of those situations where less (material) is really more (retention/application).

I haven't used R&S, but DD13 has used CLE for several years. I don't know. If your son hates grammar, and you are looking for something that seems more manageable for him, CLE might not be it. We didn't use the fourth grade level, but the fifth grade level was rigorous, and the sixth grade was just plain hard. Good. But hard. And long. About four workbook pages daily, and those pages are packed with material.

I love CLE, but I wouldn't say it is the answer for someone who dislikes grammar.

ETA: Look at the samples online, if you haven't already. And have him take the placement test. Don't be surprised if he places a level down; that is very common.

Do you not use CLE English or just the spelling component after fourth grade? I looked through the samples online tonight, and I am really torn. On the one hand, I like the rigor of R&S, but on the other hand, I am not sure if DS can handle it. I can't decide if this is one of those situations where less (material) is really more (retention/application).

My apologies. We continue with CLE after 4th, but discontinue the spelling portions as the word lists become topical at that point.

CLE is not a step down in terms of academic quality, it is a very thorough program. The presentation allows for more independent review, however.

What about Abeka? SWB recommended it before R&S. I feel like a broken record, but Abeka is the shiny, happy version of R&S.

The fourth grade book is a great intro. You can get by with just the worktext and worktext key. CBD has good samples if you want to check it out.

I will check out Abeka because a shiny, happy version of R&S sounds perfect!  Ironically, I just bought the entire Abeka Language Arts kit for my youngest (1st grade).  Does the worktext need a lot of instruction?

To the above poster who mentioned the CLE samples, I have looked through all of the fourth grade ones (LU 401-410).  Out of those samples, I did not see any new material.  However, I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing since my son definitely has not mastered his grammar lessons.

As an aside about CLE grammar, I was reading an article/blog post last night about the spiral approach to grammar taken by CLE.  In so many ways, I think that would be perfect for my son.  The small, incremental pieces may really solidify the concepts in his head.  At this point in time, I am strongly leaning toward CLE, but I am going to look at Abeka as well as any other programs that may be recommended in this thread.

ETA - My kids all use CLE math, which is a perfect fit for them, so I am familiar with the program.  I just wasn't sure how CLE LA worked!

• Like 1

I will check out Abeka because a shiny, happy version of R&S sounds perfect!  Ironically, I just bought the entire Abeka Language Arts kit for my youngest (1st grade).  Does the worktext need a lot of instruction?

Not at all. It was such a relief to be able to read a 1-2 sentence explanation instead of a 1-2 page lesson. :)

This is the only Abeka subject we use and it has taken the angst out of grammar.