Menu

SAT/GED/Common Core

I'm looking over what needs to be done before we technically begin 12th grade and I'm loaded with questions.

1. Can you take the SAT in place of the GED?

2. I know the GED involves Common Core but does the SAT also involve Common Core?

3. How would a dc pass a test based on Common Core if we've never taught them it?

I feel so out of my league here. Any help or advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

As I understand it (not having children that are close to high school age but recalling my own schooling as well as professionally working with teens in the past), the SAT is what you take to go into college. The GED is a general equivalency diploma, and is a test you take in place of actually graduating high school. If your child plans to go to college, or even to just graduate high school, there is no reason to take the GED. Normally, people take it who are unable to complete traditional high school. I believe, that during the early homeschool movement, people gave their kids a GED before a homeschool diploma was recognized.

• Like 3

As I understand it (not having children that are close to high school age but recalling my own schooling as well as professionally working with teens in the past), the SAT is what you take to go into college. The GED is a general equivalency diploma, and is a test you take in place of actually graduating high school. If your child plans to go to college, or even to just graduate high school, there is no reason to take the GED. Normally, people take it who are unable to complete traditional high school. I believe, that during the early homeschool movement, people gave their kids a GED before a homeschool diploma was recognized.

Home school diploma?

1. Can you take the SAT in place of the GED?

No. The tests serve completely different purposes.

The SAT is used by colleges to determine college aptitude, the GED is  a high school equivalency test for people who do not have a high school diploma.

The SAT is no proof that the student has completed a high school education. The GED is not a test cosidered by colleges when they evaluate applicants.

Some homeschoolers have their kids take the GED. Others object strongly because they find the notion insulting that a home education according to state law and a parent issued homeschol diploma after completing this education are to be considered at the same level as a high school dropout.

2. I know the GED involves Common Core but does the SAT also involve Common Core?

3. How would a dc pass a test based on Common Core if we've never taught them it?

The SAT tests math and English. It should not matter what curriculum was used to build strong math and English skills.

The GED also tests content subjects; there I would expect alignment to matter more.

• Like 1

Home school diploma?

If you are homeschooling, you issue the diploma just as a school would.  The vast, vast majority of colleges accept these.  

Naturally, colleges will look at your student's transcript and test scores for entrance determination - just as they do for ps students.  You'll want to make sure your student has had the classes (credits) they are looking for.  If the school has selective admissions, I wouldn't be aiming for their minimum standards either.  Go for more.

There's no way I would get a GED for a high school graduate.  Those are for students who did not complete high school.  All three of mine did (two homeschooling, one in public school).  NONE had issues when it came to applying for colleges (even getting merit aid at all schools), but all three had more credits than the minimum for the schools they applied to.

• Like 3