Menu

Spore - anyone play this yet???

The reviews at Amazon are so poor that I wonder if they are a prank? How can over 1,000 people all hate a game so much? So I am looking for REAL comments from folks who may have bought this, as it may make a good holiday gift for my teens. Unless the reviews at Amazon are correct.

I had to go check out the negative reviews because I really want this game...Apparently almost all of them have one thing in common...Spore is using the SecuROM DRM thing...You can only install it three times and after that you have to call and get permission (pretty much) to install it again...Many of the people are calling the game as it is right now "an overpriced rental" (that's the jist I am getting)...Also you can only have one login per computer...I gotta say, I'm gonna have to wait due this information...So the game itself is fun, it's just the extra stuff EA is pushing on everybody that is the issue...

My 13yo ds was first in line to buy it on Sunday and played it non-stop for 9 hours that day (I often let them get the excitement of a new game out of their systems by allowing a one day marathon.) My 16yo started playing yesterday and they both are really enjoying it.

I played with the creature creator over the summer and may now play on the "real" Spore with my kids because it does look like so much fun.

What attracts my kids is the creativity that is built into the games along with the same kind of play that you have on Age of Empires or Age of Mythology. The man behind Spore, whose name I can't remember -- Will Somebody -- is also the man behind the popular Sims games. He is a very creative guy, a thinker, and a lot of research went into the worlds in Spore. My ds saw him speak at Comic-con this summer and was enchanted by the guy because he was so interesting and funny.

There are millions of Spore creations out there on the Web that have been created by lots of players from around the world, and you can use your own creatures when playing or use those that have been posted by others. And the worlds you play in are each unique to your game.

You don't interact with other gamers -- it isn't an MMORPG, but you get random creatures you have to interact with in your game. I don't quite understand it as I haven't played it, but my sons both LOVE it.

Don't know what Amazon would have so many negative reviews!! My ds only found one level of the game to be "tedious", but every other level was lots of fun, and as I have said, the creative aspects of designing the characters, designing the space ships and other aspects are a wonderful and brilliant aspect to the game.

My ds is in a class right now, or I'd send you the URL for checking out all the cool creatures and space ships that have been created.

Is that an enthusiastic enough response for you?!!!

With a copy of the game you can only create one account, and that will be the only account through which you can send your creatures out onto the internet; however you can have multiple saved games on one account. My boys are each playing their own games on the one account, and the game is only installed onto one computer. They are having a blast watching the other play and seeing how each other's worlds are evolving.

So the issue isn't important to us.