Menu

Kids together or separate?

I am planning for next year and am trying to decide what our schedule should look like. Previously, I would have all 3 kids at the table at the same time & I'd bounce between all 3. Last year, my youngest was preschool and my middle was first grade. This year, it seems like it's going to be so much more intense doing K, 2nd & 6th. I have a schedule written out to do school all together, with my K getting all my attention for the first hour of the day while the boys work independently. Then, I just juggle the boys for the rest of the day. But! I am considering instead doing school from 8-9 with K, 9-11 with 2nd, 11-1 with 6th and then having lunch at 1. We would break until 2 and then I'd be available for any additional help on things that didn't get done from 2-3:30. Is this crazy? Has anyone else managed their days this way? I know lots of people combine their kids for different subjects, but for a variety of reasons, every.single.subject is completely different for each kid, so that's not a possibility.

I have almost the same ages! They will be dd - K., dd - 3, ds - 6.

My plan (did this last year as well) is work with one in the morning and switch and work with the other in the afternoon. While I'm working with the one child the other one has a list of independent work to complete that I've assigned and written in a notebook so they don't need me to guide them through that time. Mainly it was foreign language (on computer), typing practice, Khan Academy, math practice in wkbk. and any other misc. work that they could do on their own. If they finished independent work early they could play. 

Any combined learning we did right after lunch typically.

Now with a K. in the mix I'll probably fit her in right after lunch or possibly 1st thing of the day.

Looks like you have a great plan! And I agree with you. This year it doesn't seem like we're combining on anything! Ugh.

I overlap mine. With those ages I'd kickstart the 6th grader in the work he can do independently and pull the kindergartner to the table. I'd keep K short and sweet and get all of it done in one big lump. When the phonics and writing have been finished, the math lesson has been taught and they're finishing their math worksheet at my elbow, I'd call the 2nd grader to the table and get started on the most mom-dependent work. The K'er goes on their merry way when finished, and I may call them back for corrections after I had a chance to look at their math page (the phonics and writing would have been corrected as we went through them). The 2nd grader and I work intensively, and when they get to an independent at elbow place I'd turn my attention to the 6th grader. He'd need to explain orally what he accomplished on his own, discuss literature read, etc, and then we'd discuss where he's heading, what's next, what he needs help with, and such. There may be some tag-team between the older two during this period, but it shouldn't be intense.

Around these ages, my mum started everyone at the same time, about 8am. 2nd and 6th would work independently on whatever they could do (she might do a quick 5-10 minute introduction to the math lesson or something if needed) and she would work with the Ker. The Ker would be finished for the day by 9 or so. She would check in with the 6th, answer any questions needed etc, then leave her for more independent work. She did the non-independent work with the 2nd, and then that child was done, around 10:30. At that point she turned her attention to the 6th, and did any non-independent work with her/checked her work that morning. The 6th finished, except for independent reading, by 12 and then it was lunchtime. Joint projects like art/science happened in the afternoon

It worked very well for a few years, so provided your 2nd and 6th can work independently on a fair few things, go for it!

I'm going to have K, 3, 5 and 6.  I'm not sure how I'm going to work it, actually.  

I think my plan is to do an hour with my Kindy guy in the morning, and a half hour with him in the afternoon.

Each sibling has the "job" of reading him one picture book per day...which they actually love to do and fight over.

They all want to participate in his crafts and fun stuff, so that helps.

I'll probably combine my 5th and 6th grader as much as I can, and give them each 15-20 minutes one on one for math.  

I'm not sure what to do about my 3rd grader.  I feel like combining her with the Kindy or the 5th/6th too much will mean that she misses out.  I need to really think this through a bit better.   Hopefully in the first few weeks, we'll figure something out.  Not planning to start until mid-to-late August.