Menu

Secular Science w/ webinar or online component?

I'm looking for online secular science options for DS (8th grade). So far, all I've found is the Well Trained Academy. Is there anything else? I have nothing against WTA, but I want to be sure I haven't missed something shiny. I want something that does not have me grading DS's work and would prefer a group setting.

I almost signed DS up for The Potter's School and Landry, but their science is religious and we'd prefer secular. The Well Trained Academy science also seems more like HIgh School science than middle school, so I'm not sure it's what we want. 

I looked at online G3 as well and it seems ok, but I'm not sure how DS would fit in. He'll be 14, and he's a little ahead but not PG and I get the impression that G3 is aimed at younger kids who want to learn higher level material without higher level writing/output, kwim? 

If you're okay with videos rather than an online class, you might consider Derek Owens physical science (or physics).

I was thinking about this last night. Have you used it? I wonder how labor intensive it is for parents to grade if I go with the cheap, ungraded option. 

I used the DVD option and I had to grade everything myself. It was easy. It had answers and they were all pretty obvious, lol. That doesn't mean my son got them all correct, just that I had no trouble seeing where he went wrong.

I would assume the online version is the same.

I do have some specific criticisms of the DVD/thumbdrive version, but it isn't on content. The content is just fine. It is more about presentation.

All in all it is a solid course. It is math based, which is nice, but not math intensive. I think it is just right for a kid who is taking pre-A or Algebra. There is use and application of formulas and I think it is expected the student will have a basic understanding of how that works.

• Like 1

I just got an email with the fall class offerings from a teacher with whom my oldest has taken a few classes. She offers secular science classes (and other subjects). It has been a couple years, but I remember her teaching to be very solid. My daughter was always engaged and really enjoyed each class she took (Genetics, Evolution, and World History, if I remember correctly). 

Here is a link to her site:

http://sherrisonlineclasses.weebly.com

• Like 1