Menu

Eggs, coconut flour, paleo, and allergies.

hsingscrapper

Ok. I scored a sweet deal on coconut flour but then I remembered the cost of eggs. I refuse to pay more than $2 per dozen for standard eggs. It just won't fit my budget.

For those of you who live your life without eggs and gluten, do you have any fave free recipe sites?

Also, do you have any favorite egg replacers? Are egg whites safe for people with egg allergies? I tried searching for eggless recipes but keep getting some with egg whites which sounds weird to me.

Sent from my RCT6773W22 using Tapatalk

Egg whites are not safe for people with egg allergies.

You sort of have to know the purpose of eggs in the recipe.  Is it stickiness, leavening, what?  Here are some egg replacements:

1/4 cup of light corn syrup = 1 egg

1 tsp baking powder + 1.5 Tablespoons water + 1.5 Tablespoons oil = 1 egg

1 tsp baking soda + 1 Tablespoon vinegar + 1 Tablespoon any liquid = 1 egg

1 packet of gelatin + 2 Tablespoons warm water = 1 egg

1/4 cup soft silken tofu = 1 egg

3 Tablespoons pureed fruit or vegetable + 1 Tablespoon any liquid = 1 egg

HTH!

• Like 1

I think the egg white "eggless" recipes are for people who avoid eggs due to cholesterol, not due to allergies.  Someone who is allergic to egg is allergic to the protein, and egg whites are almost pure protein.  Not that the yolk is safe, it's got protein too.

I've used applesauce as a replacement for eggs, when cooking for my vegan brother, but it only works in things that taste OK when they're a little sweet.  I've done it for pancakes or baked oatmeal, neither of which are recipes that require a lot of precision.

The problem is that coconut flour has no structure on its own. Straight coconut flour baking usually requires quite a few eggs to provide the structure that gluten would provide. I know there are some recipes out there on a few vegan websites, but imo, coconut flour is nowhere near as popular among vegans.

So, rather than search for egg substitute ideas (there are lots) to use in your existing recipes, I'd search for new recipes - like "egg free coconut flour brownies" or "egg free coconut flour paleo bread" or "vegan coconut flour cookies" or whatever strikes your fancy. You'd probably have better luck making those recipes paleo rather than the other way around.

I know of quite a few eggless paleo recipes, but they are all in cookbooks, or on the paid side of paleo sites. There is a snickerdoodle recipe that I know of that is worth the price of the yearly subscription! 😋😋 Egg allergies are common in people that have had to go paleo due to health reasons other then overweight. Thankfully I have tested my baby and as for now, he doesn't seem to fit that bill. He is paleo though for health reasons other then overweight.