Menu

More Qs from New Rules of Lifting

Laurie4b

I very much appreciate all the help I get here with my new strength-training goals!  

I had NROL4W and read that, but when I found out there was one for middle-aged people and that it had choices of exercises, I thought that was the one for me! So I bought New Rules of Lifting for Life. I am in the "planning to do this" stage of NROL4L. I have mapped out Workout A and Workout B and gone to the gym to figure out starting weights and how to use the cable machine.

Here are my 3 questions: 

1. Some of you answered my question about the best way to meet my goal of doing a full push-up by late Sept. That is an important goal to me.  I set it and I want to meet it. 

I don't know whether to wait until after I have met that to start NROL or not. I don't know if NROL will help me meet that goal or delay it because now I do some kind of push-ups 3 times per week; on NROL, it would be 1-2 times per week, with alternate exercises on the other days. Would that help or hinder my goal? 

2. NROL4L really emphasizes recovery. I've always left 48 hours between lifting, but didn't pay much attention to that for other exercise other than taking Sundays as a rest day and taking a day off and not exercising if I felt really draggy and tired every once in a while. 

I take Zumba and LOVE it. My instructor structures our workouts so that they are HIIT. They truly are, so they don't fit the "lower key endurance" exercise recommended in NROL for days when you are not lifting. Zumba is offered M, W, TH. For me, Zumba is not only a HIIT workout, but a social connection, and the memorization of the dance steps is good for building the hippocamus. 

I am trying to think through issues of recovery. If I did Zumba on my current schedule and NROL 3 days a week, they would need to overlap either one day or two days. I would use Zumba in place of the metabolic piece if I was doing it the same day. 

What do you think is the better schedule? 

Mon: NROL (no metabolic)/Zumba

Tues: low key day

Wed: NROL (no metabolic) /Zumba

Thur: Zumba

Fri: NROL

Sat: low-key day

Sun: rest day

Mon: Zumba

Tues: NROL (metabolic piece or no?) 

Wed. Zumba

Thur NROL /Zumba

Fri: low key day

Sat NROL

Sun rest day

Or do I have to do either Zumba or NROL 2x per week? 

3. The warm-up phase doesn't look like warm-up to me.  It looks like it has a lot of stretching and "moves" that I would need to warm up for. What do you think? My warm-up has typically been to make sure my body temp is somewhat up (like moderate walking or something for 10 min) and then if it's a move that might challenge my joints, I do the move in an easier way first (like a set of push-ups on a higher incline than I actually need) to get the muscles waked up and ready for the movement pattern. Thoughts?

Would you be doing Zumba before or after lifting on those days? If you are lifting heavy enough, you probably won't want to do Zumba after.

How tiring is Zumba for you? If it is still fairly challenging, I wouldn't call it a low-key workout, but as you get more fit, your low-key workouts can also get harder.

I think a lot will depend on how sore lifting makes you. At first you may be to sore to do all this, but in time that will be less of a problem.

Would you be doing Zumba before or after lifting on those days? If you are lifting heavy enough, you probably won't want to do Zumba after.

How tiring is Zumba for you? If it is still fairly challenging, I wouldn't call it a low-key workout, but as you get more fit, your low-key workouts can also get harder.

I think a lot will depend on how sore lifting makes you. At first you may be to sore to do all this, but in time that will be less of a problem.

Zumba would be after. Zumba would definitely not be "low key". On "Low key" days, I would likely be just doing gardening, walking, etc. 

Maybe I will start lifting on a Saturday, and see how worn out I am. Thanks for the input. 

Our library has zippo in terms of newer books on exercise, so I have to buy everything. What do you like about this book? What are its strengths? 

It describes, better than any other book I personally have seen, the details of the exact form controls to use in each kind of weight lifting, rather like a coach or personal trainer would do.  It also walks you through how to start with low weights to learn the form exactly right, and when and how to increase weight, in detail.  

It also represents a system and method that has been used by very old women, women in their 80s and 90s even, who were starting from being inexperienced at this, and showed benefits from it.  I find that both convincing and encouraging.

Lastly, it's one of only two exercise programs that honestly has not hurt me at the start.  That is quite unusual.

• Like 1

I've only done Zumba twice as it just isn't my thing but to me it just seemed like a cardio workout, I wouldn't see it recovery from a strength workout, assuming you fuel adequately and they aren't done too close together. If you wanted to do opposite days though I think I would do:

Tues: NROL

Wed: Zumba

Thurs Zumba

Friday NROL

Sat Rest

Sun NROL

I've only done Zumba twice as it just isn't my thing but to me it just seemed like a cardio workout, I wouldn't see it recovery from a strength workout, assuming you fuel adequately and they aren't done too close together. If you wanted to do opposite days though I think I would do:

Tues: NROL

Wed: Zumba

Thurs Zumba

Friday NROL

Sat Rest

Sun NROL

Yeah, I've taken from instructors who lead it like a regular cardio workout, but my instructor does it as a HIIT. And it is. On a perceived exertion chart, my range during Zumba swings from "very, very hard or very hard'" to "moderate", not counting the light to moderate warm up and cool down periods.

I didn't mean to imply in my post that the Zumba was a recovery workout. I was wondering if a HIIT workout like Zumba was counterproductive to recovery, and if so, if it was less counterproductive to do it the same day or on an alternate day. Make better sense?