Menu

DS has a maths and handwriting disability with the dyslexia.  In all honesty, the dyslexia has been the least of my worries for the past 4.5 years.  Around here, the dyslexia is an afterthought.  I don't know whether that is good or bad.  It is just nothing that we even discuss.  Even the handwriting is an afterthought.  The maths and EF issues are a totally different issue because those are the things that could really disrupt future plans.

I appreciate the article because remediation does take a long time, and I have had to think long term or fall into a pit of despair.  We should be promoting our kids strengths and gifts.  DS did not learn parts of speech until the end of 7th grade.  That same year, he learned to write a cohesive paragraph on his own with no assistance from me.  While DS sat in a NT classroom, we were always playing catch-up.  It was 6th grade when we realized that the playing catch-up served no good purpose and was actually injuring DS.  Parents really need to become single minded and step out and plow a new path to help these kiddos blossom.  I just wish homeschooling did not have to feel so revolutionary.

I don't understand how the author can claim dyslexic brains are not different unless one chooses to ignore all of the MRI studies performed by Dr. Sally Shaywitz and her peers at Yale University.  DS has been tested by three NPS and the numbers are basically unchanged. DS is just as forgetful now as he ever was, and I just don't see that changing anytime soon.  (Says the mom who just spent 2.5 hours looking for her car keys that her DS used last and accidentally threw in the trash. )

• Like 5

I've been thinking about this article. For me, it is a mix of good advice and generalizations that don't apply to everyone. I don't think that accepting dyslexia as a lifelong disability means that one has a mindset of just struggling to keep up without trying to address the root problems.

I do think that children who are given a reading LD by the school evaluation team can fall into a trap. Their parents may not understand that the school cannot diagnose dyslexia, and they may not seek out additional evaluations by someone who can diagnose. So the children struggle through school, getting some reading intervention, but not true remediation. Homeschoolers can have the same troubles, because some parents do not want their children to be labeled as dyslexic; some people specifically avoid sending their children to school in order to avoid labeling. I've seen this mindset on threads here on the forums more than once. I've seen it a lot, actually. Homeschoolers can teach dyslexic children, of course, but I think the fear of the diagnosis of dyslexia can keep some children from getting the remedial help that they actually need.

In my opinion, knowing about dyslexia and how it can have a lifelong impact is empowering. So I reject their thesis, but there is some good advice about systematic remediation in their article. I don't know anything about the program that they want readers to buy into. I think the article is really a promotional piece for their program, disguised as advice.

• Like 2

OP You must have found this an excellent article to post the link and say that it relates to all children with learning challenges.  How to you feel it relates in your children's situation, or how has it helped you?

• 2 weeks later...