Menu

The Shack

Has anyone read this? I got it from the library because everyone was talking about it. Maybe it just isn't my thing but I don't think it is well written at all. I am only three chapters in, so I should give it more of a chance. Any thoughts?

I just finished reading it this morning. I would give it a bit more of a chance. There is a pretty big shift between the first and second portions of the book.

I thought it was interesting to read the explainations for some of the more troubling aspects of God and suffering.

I just couldn't read it. I know it must have some great wisdom in it because there are people (book lovers, even) I know who have just raved about it - people who have been Christians a long time and just felt like it really opened new things in them.

But for me, the bad writing was just too much of a barrier. I. could. not. read it.

I would say I tried to about the halfway point - mostly because a number of people were really pressuring me to read it. I wanted to just be able to honestly say that I had read it and find something nice to say like, "Well, he certainly had some good ideas." But I didn't. Because it was just too painful and life is too short.

I just couldn't read it. I know it must have some great wisdom in it because there are people (book lovers, even) I know who have just raved about it - people who have been Christians a long time and just felt like it really opened new things in them.

But for me, the bad writing was just too much of a barrier. I. could. not. read it.

I would say I tried to about the halfway point - mostly because a number of people were really pressuring me to read it. I wanted to just be able to honestly say that I had read it and find something nice to say like, "Well, he certainly had some good ideas." But I didn't. Because it was just too painful and life is too short.

I am still going to try to read it so that I can see what the fuss is all about, but I am so glad someone agreed with me. I was just reading along thinking over and over how very bad it was. I was a high school English teacher and it made me think of some of the really bad creative writing I used to have to evaluate. :tongue_smilie:

I am a reader. I actually will read a cereal box if nothing else is available and I could only make it slightly more that half way. I read to a chapter past where papa showed up and then I gave up. As someone else said, life is too short and there are too many other good book out there. Maybe someday curiousity will get the better of me and I will finish it but I am not holding me breath.

I read it. Coming from a wounded personal history, there were a few bits of wisdom I picked up on. I have to agree that the writing wasn't good and I did a lot of skimming. It was interesting in parts, but I found myself skimming to get through it because it didn't grip me.

Bee