Menu

Calligraphy for a young child?

Kerileanne99

I have a dd5 officially starting Kindy with me this year. She is radically accelerated in many areas, and I am really trying to find some 'extras' to take her a bit broader rather that letting her continue at the same pace through a traditional program.

Her manuscript and cursive are both really quite good, and when I asked her for ideas of what she would like to learn this year she suggested calligraphy. It is not the first time she has asked, so I think it could work!

Anybody know of a calligraphy book or lessons? Pens? Ink?

Anybody done this with their kids and have any advice?

I did calligraphy fairly young and really liked it. I agree about markers rather than a calligraphy pen and ink. It is so much easier to start with a wedge-shaped marker, and then you still have a related gift for later that is special.

• Like 2

Ooh, I didn't even know calligraphy markers existed!

It looks like there are so many to choose from. I think she would be ridiculously thrilled to get an assortment of them. She has a huge art table in her room and can spend hours with markers. In fact, her hands are multicolored and stained most of the time. 'Special' calligraphy markers just for school time would also fill her need for new 'school supplies.'

Any specific book recommends? I guess it is too much to hope that a HWT-type calligraphy book exists:). I searched Amazon and found a Calligraphy for Kids book, but am still looking for additional resources. I think this kid will end up embellishing and inventing her own special flourishes immediately as she is all about the 'fancy.'

I've only used their regular italics book, but Getty Dubay has a calligraphy book as well. Amazon has a Look Inside for it here: http://www.amazon.com/Italic-Letters-Calligraphy-Inga-Dubay/dp/0876780915.

Thanks, I like the look of this. I ordered it, but I have a feeling dd is going to be upset at what she will percieve as 'not fancy' enough:). She is going to want to jump off into the deep end first!

I am hoping that she will see the possibilities, and I ordered a few books for inspiration. Hopefully I can convince her that perfecting the basics before moving to more elaborate flourishes is the way to go...

That Getty-Dubay one looks good. But if she needs something that's more fun and fancy, get her a book with a ton of different hands and lots of examples of illuminated letters and so forth. 

This is an older one I know - it's not good for a first learning, but it's a good look at all the different things you can do sort of books:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Calligraphy-Practical-Skills-Techniques/dp/1564588491/ref=sr_1_33?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436809105&sr=1-33&keywords=calligraphy

There are probably better newer ones too...

I played around with it pretty young too.   One thing I found handy was a light box.  I could get perfect practice by putting my sheet over a pretty sample sheet.  

You might let her have input on the book(s).  She'll probably have a preference on the amount of serifs.