Menu

Sharing a "works for us" tip

So a couple months ago I was getting sick of nagging ds about cleaning up the bathroom after his bath and needed to find a solution. The one I came up with was to take pictures as we cleaned it up together of what it is suppose to look like and where things should be kept. It worked so well! He has not even looked at the pictures since but has made sure everything is put away and cleaned up without so much as a reminder. We used the same idea for his arts and crafts area and that has also worked perfectly. For whatever reason previously doing the step by step instruction didn't seem to stick, but adding the step of taking the picture after seems to have cemented in his mind what it is suppose to look like.

Don't know if it is only something that will work for my ds, but thought I would share in case it helps out someone else.

• Like 8

We are trying to do something like this as well .My kids (and husband) forget where things go also. We just need to find a place for the pics--originally we thought maybe inside the applicable cupboard doors, but now I'm thinking maybe have them take the pics on their kindles so that I don't have to get them printed out.

This makes me want to try harder to get it done.

We are trying to do something like this as well .My kids (and husband) forget where things go also. We just need to find a place for the pics--originally we thought maybe inside the applicable cupboard doors, but now I'm thinking maybe have them take the pics on their kindles so that I don't have to get them printed out.

This makes me want to try harder to get it done.

I just used the iPad, I am sure the kindles would work just fine. Obviously, I am aware ds is a visual learner, but I was surprised at how little repetition this took. It seems as those just slowing down and taking the pictures as we did the routine gave him the checklist he needed for what to look for and to know if the task is done. It is so lovely to see him be able to independently navigate and sequence more involved multi step routines.

Yes, this is what we've been doing!  I take pics with my phone, drag the into a Word document, print, and slip in a page protector that I can tape to the wall.  It has helped him automate some things that were reasonable for the age that I was constantly stuck doing.  And the nice thing is, a paper or pictures didn't cost much and is not entrenched, so if you need to change, you can.

• Like 1

Pictures sound like a great idea.  

What finally worked here was starting over with apprenticeships and explaining that we were starting these apprenticeships so they wouldn't be worried that they had to do things right the first time or remember all the steps.  Day one they followed me through whatever apprenticeship we were starting.  Like with dishes, Day 1 they watched while I did everything I normally do for dishes and also talked them through what I was doing and why.  They could help if they wanted.  Then Day 2 they did the steps with me, as I talked through what we were doing and why (including why some things are just my personal preference and some things are to protect the dishes or whatever).  Day 3 they do the majority of it with me joining in as they verbalize what they are doing.  Day 4 they do it with me watching and offering support where needed.  Day 5 they do it on their own with me nearby.  Lots of support and encouragement.  Then for the next 2 weeks they do it themselves with me periodically helping out to tweak anything that they may have forgotten or misunderstood.  At the end they get a certificate and the chore goes into rotation of something they do on a regular basis.  Always upbeat, sometimes playing music of their choice, lots of encouragement.  Then we moved on to something else, like laundry.  I should have included pictures though.  

• Like 3

DD and I are brainstorming for this next year and after reading this we have discussed trying to incorporate some pics to help her with organization skills.  Great thread!

For success with chores and daily hygiene, etc. mainly I had to accept that I couldn't skip steps or just go over something a couple of times.  They both needed clear detailed explanations for why and when and how and a LOT of repetition and familiarity before a chore was truly possible independently.   Otherwise the task would just be overwhelming and confusing.  The brain connections just weren't there yet. 

• Like 2

Good idea! I've actually thought about doing this for my 4 and 7 year old boys because they seem baffled by what a clean room ought to look like, lol, but I wasn't sure it would work. So you just have the pictures on the iPad and he glances at that as he works?

Basically. He checks the pictures at the end to make sure it matches. Instead of the usual visual schedule of all the steps it is more a visual completion check.

Good luck, hope it results in some clean rooms for you!

Pictures sound like a great idea.

What finally worked here was starting over with apprenticeships and explaining that we were starting these apprenticeships so they wouldn't be worried that they had to do things right the first time or remember all the steps. Day one they followed me through whatever apprenticeship we were starting. Like with dishes, Day 1 they watched while I did everything I normally do for dishes and also talked them through what I was doing and why. They could help if they wanted. Then Day 2 they did the steps with me, as I talked through what we were doing and why (including why some things are just my personal preference and some things are to protect the dishes or whatever). Day 3 they do the majority of it with me joining in as they verbalize what they are doing. Day 4 they do it with me watching and offering support where needed. Day 5 they do it on their own with me nearby. Lots of support and encouragement. Then for the next 2 weeks they do it themselves with me periodically helping out to tweak anything that they may have forgotten or misunderstood. At the end they get a certificate and the chore goes into rotation of something they do on a regular basis. Always upbeat, sometimes playing music of their choice, lots of encouragement. Then we moved on to something else, like laundry. I should have included pictures though.

Yes, this is the general level of scaffolding that ds requires to learn the day to day chores and routines, and we approach it very similar to your apprenticeships except I should spend a bit more time giving him more background as to the why behind tasks. l also love how you told them you were starting them so they wouldn't be worried about doing things right the first time or remembering everything. That is always such an issue with ds. He would totally love me calling them apprenticeships, I will have to steal that! Thanks!

Yes, this is the general level of scaffolding that ds requires to learn the day to day chores and routines, and we approach it very similar to your apprenticeships except I should spend a bit more time giving him more background as to the why behind tasks. l also love how you told them you were starting them so they wouldn't be worried about doing things right the first time or remembering everything. That is always such an issue with ds. He would totally love me calling them apprenticeships, I will have to steal that! Thanks!

:)  The kids liked the term.  It made the training seem more important.  It also took off the pressure.  Now when I ask them to take care of the dishes, for instance, there is no argument and there is a bit of pride in the fact that they completed the apprenticeship and are now Journeymen.  :)