Menu

Has anyone from US bought a book from Amazon.CA?

Tohru

Order from the Amazon.com site and have it shipped to Canada.  So, I'm backwards to what you are asking.  However, Amazon.com charges me in American dollars and it appears on my statement as one line and the very next line is the conversion amount.

• Like 1

Hopefully the cost of the item is low and the charges for currency conversion will not amount to much. I believe there will be 2 charges: (1) Amazon will figure out the transaction and use a conversion rate that is not the one available to them, so they will make a little bit from that. Then, the bank that issued the card will charge fees.

I am going to buy (tomorrow?) something for DD on Amazon USA.  Their price is in U.S. Dollars. The card I will use, issued by a Colombian bank, is in Colombian Pesos.  They are *VERY* up front with their conversion rate, before clicking to finish the transaction.  They ask if the card is in Pesos or Dollars.  It clearly shows that the exchange rate they use is not what the official rate is (which I can easily check on the web site of the Colombian Central Bank, "Banco de la Republica") so I know Amazon is making some $.

I believe the official (best) exchange rates are for transactions of USD one million or more...

OT: I think I would be much more concerned about what it would cost to return the item to Canada, to the Seller, if it is not satisfactory.

• Like 1