Menu

Spiral or Incremental Complete Package

Guest Lilly_

Guest Lilly_

:seeya: This fall will be my first year homeschooling, and I'm so scared to make the wrong choices when it comes to curriculum. Honestly I'm wondering if homeschooling is the correct thing to do, I don't know if I can do it :confused: . But, deep down I have a feeling that it would be so beneficial for my little one. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has gone through this, I hope it gets better with time and I loose my fear and get rid of my doubts.

Anyway, my question, is there a spiral or incremental full grade package out there? Spiral is the way my child has been taught, considering my fear, I'm not ready to venture into any other way of teaching this coming year. I want to stick with what has been taught so far, to make it easier on everyone involved, hopefully with time I can slowly get out of that rythm. Eventually as I feel more secure in this new adventure, I would like to pick and choose from the different curricula offered, but I think this year maybe I full planned out option would make the transition for both of us easier. But that does not mean I'm not willing to take a challenge, if any of you think that picking from different vendors that might offer a spiral (even incremental approach) is still something that can be done as a first time homeschool mom, I'm open to those suggestions too.

Thanks for the help :001_smile:

P.S.

We'll be doing third grade this fall.

Christian Light Education for language arts and math might work well. Spiral, clearly laid out, instruction is written to the student, the Teacher's Manuals are very helpful, super easy to implement, etc.

Give the free on-line placement tests since it can be ahead of some programs. They are found under Diagnostic tests. Download to your computer and print out. Start with the level 100 tests and have your child move forward from there. Give breaks and maybe do the tests over a few days so they don't burn out. Don't worry about what grade level they place into. It is easy to accelerate once you are used to the program. Their spiral approach is gentle and and it is great for filling in gaps.

For anything else, start out small. Maybe just read together and watch documentaries for science and history until you get your footing.

Have you checked into any local homeschooling groups. It might help to have some local support.

Hugs and best wishes.

• Like 2

I would look at Sonlight or book shark (book shark=secular sonlight) if I were you.   The sonlight packages still give you a little bit of flexibility to pick and choose a math, handwriting, and spelling program.....BUT will give you a complete grade appropriate package so you aren't missing anything.   You could use this package and pick all of the spiral based skill subjects.

I didn't stick with Sonlight long term, but I did use it in the beginning.   It sort of taught me HOW to homeschool if that makes sense.   It gave me the confidence I needed to find what worked for our family and build it myself.  

If you are a little bit more adventurous, you could totally just pick up the Well Trained Mind and use those recommendations for the year.   If you want something a bit more gentle for 3rd grade (but still VERY academically strong), I would also suggest you check out Simply Charlotte Mason's recommendations for 3rd grade.  

:seeya: This fall will be my first year homeschooling, and I'm so scared to make the wrong choices when it comes to curriculum. Honestly I'm wondering if homeschooling is the correct thing to do, I don't know if I can do it :confused: . But, deep down I have a feeling that it would be so beneficial for my little one. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has gone through this, I hope it gets better with time and I loose my fear and get rid of my doubts.

Anyway, my question, is there a spiral or incremental full grade package out there? Spiral is the way my child has been taught; considering my fear, I'm not ready to venture into any other way of teaching this coming year. I want to stick with what has been taught so far, to make it easier on everyone involved. hopefully with time I can slowly get out of that rhythm. Eventually as I feel more secure in this new adventure, I would like to pick and choose from the different curricula offered, but I think this year maybe I full planned out option would make the transition for both of us easier. But that does not mean I'm not willing to take a challenge, if any of you think that picking from different vendors that might offer a spiral (even incremental approach) is still something that can be done as a first time homeschool mom, I'm open to those suggestions too.

Thanks for the help :001_smile:

P.S.

We'll be doing third grade this fall.

The only place where spiral or incremental (and they are not quite the same) might make a difference is in math. Even then, an important consideration is whether your child needs manipulatives or not.

You can buy complete packages from a number of companies, but honestly, I don't think it will be an important thing for every.single.subject to be "spiral," if that's even possible--I don't know what a spiral history or science would look like. o_0

We all have first-year jitters....sometimes even second- or third- or fourth-year jitters. You'll be fine. I think your search will be more enjoyable if you look at things which seem interesting first, rather than searching for things which might (or might not) be "spiral." :-)

• Like 2