Menu

Help me find the recipe to a dish I had at a potluck

ChrisB

So, a few weeks ago I attended a potluck and had an amazing dish.  It was served in a triple mini dipper crock pot, meant to be layered to taste.  One pot had rice cooked with chicken broth or flavoring, one was sauteed spinach topped with sliced hard-boiled eggs and crumbled bacon, and the third was a sauce, which I believe to be tomato based, dark red in color, and meatless, but I'm not quite certain.  It wasn't overly spicy, only a hint of heat.  Let me tell ya, it was delicious,  :drool5:  and now I need the recipe.   I know it's not much to go on, but I'd like to find the recipe to that sauce.  Can you help a girl out, please?  I've been craving it since.  Where should I start looking?   Maybe, I'll find out the owner of the dish created it without a recipe...

I tried searching the ingredients you mentioned at allrecipes.com but I came up with nothing. I hope you find it! Is there any way you could track down the person who made it? When I'm at a potluck and taste something amazingly good, I ask around to find the person, and see if he or she will share the recipe.

• Like 1

I'm a lurker who can't resist a good Google challenge. It sounds like it might be some form of Anda Palak Curry. Here's a recipe I found, perhaps the person who made it kept the spinach/eggs and curry separate for people who don't like curry?

http://www.honeywhatscooking.com/2011/07/anda-palak-curry-spinach-egg-curry.html?m=1

If you Google Anda Palak Curry, there are several more recipes. :)

• Like 4

I'm a lurker who can't resist a good Google challenge. It sounds like it might be some form of Anda Palak Curry. Here's a recipe I found, perhaps the person who made it kept the spinach/eggs and curry separate for people who don't like curry?

http://www.honeywhatscooking.com/2011/07/anda-palak-curry-spinach-egg-curry.html?m=1

Not the OP, but that sounds spot on.  There is a chance that the rice was made with a vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to keep the meal vegetarian friendly.

• Like 1

I tried searching the ingredients you mentioned at allrecipes.com but I came up with nothing. I hope you find it! Is there any way you could track down the person who made it? When I'm at a potluck and taste something amazingly good, I ask around to find the person, and see if he or she will share the recipe.

My friend talked to the guy who made it, but he hasn't followed through with a recipe, and she doesn't know the name of the dish.  But, yeah, that's what I usually do.

Hmmm...this might be it.  I'll check it out.  Thanks!

What colour was the rice? Could it have been Pilau rice? It's yellow. It's flavourings are stock and some spices but they're again not super strong. It's really nice.

The rice was white with a hint of yellow, probably cooked in chicken broth/stock.  Other than that, the rice was pretty basic.  I googled pilau rice, and it looks yummy!

Oh my goodness that's brilliant. This recipe would look so much more appetizing if you kept the spinach separate and didn't purée it. Now I want to try it layered like the OP mentioned.

Please do!  Once I get the recipe that works for us, I'd like to add it to my menu rotation.  My guess is the spinach was sauteed in a little butter or oil along with fresh minced garlic and salt.  I can eat a pile of that on its own!