Menu

Auditory American History or fun American history for middle school?

mamakelly

I had my dd use the SOTW cd's as a base for her history curriculum last year in 7th grade. She's a fairly strong auditory/hands on learner, and it worked so well for her. Any suggestions for American History cd's? Or any suggestions for a fun hands on program? 

• Like 2

Homeschool In The Woods Time Travelers.. Will take you from Explorers of the USA {not their best one at all} through WW2.. You could tie in with many books in audio format from Audible that are both on their book list{s} as well as scouting out some from other USA Book Lists. :)  

Another thought would be Drive Thru History USA

Hmm. I don't suppose Hakim's A History of US has an audiobook format?

Perhaps you could work from a book list...see how many audiobooks you can churn up at your local library for age-appropriate non-fiction texts and historical fiction.

For example...

http://www.bookshark.com/eighth-grade/reading-with-history/8th-grade-history-literature/

DD really likes the Who Was...? and What Is...? series, but she's a good bit younger. Our library has a lot of them in their digital collection in Kindle format. She lets her Kindle read them to her.

Hopefully, someone has some more helpful suggestions.

• Like 1

If you don't like Hakim, a lot of the Russell Freedman books, Jim Murphy, etc. are available on audible.  The TC US History lectures on audible are also very accessible.  My crazy 6 yo listens to them.  You just never know what kids will like, so try across levels.  

• Like 1

Definitely Hakim's history of us from audible. We've prerty much just listened to the series and loved it. their retention is high because it's interesting and engaging.

Did you listen to all of them? I found the audio series available for download at our public library. It looks like one book is 5 hours.