Menu

plumbing question

Tohru

We have a tub with a shower and the shower part has not worked since we bought the house. Finally called a plumber to come fix it. He came out and cut a hole in the wall to access the pipes, took out the entire section, refitted everything and put in all new fixtures. Now the shower part works, however it is taking twice as long to fill the tub as it did before he did the work.

Is this normal? Should I just be grateful the shower portion works now or is it okay to be upset that the tub is taking much longer to fill? My husband says the plumber did the job he was suppose to, even though he made the tub part worse and if we call him to fix the tub flow then he'd probably charge us again. :(

I wouldn't have expected that.  

How old were the old faucet/switch/pipes?  We have some really old pipes that are actually a larger diameter than the new ones.

We had a new faucet /switch put in recently (changed to a center, single handle instead of two separate handles) and there was a limiter in it to prevent the temp from getting "too" hot, but the water comes out the faucet full strength when the shower is off.

I wonder if the diverter in the tub filler got knocked out of whack during the repair.  The diverter is like a switch that diverts water from the shower to the tub and vice-versa.  I would call the plumber and ask if he could have mussed up the diverter.  It is usually an easy fix if that's the problem.  The repair also could have dislodged scale and chips of whatever else was in the old pipes, and that could be clogging the faucets.  If it is the latter, I think that is also an easy fix.  Maybe try a youtube video showing how to remove the old tub filler and unclog the pipe?

Hopefully, when he had to cut out that section of the wall to get to the pipes, he had it replaced with an access panel. If so, that will make it a whole lot easier to get to the pipes to see what's going on with the tub. 

Have you tried fiddling with the "switch" that diverts the water to the tub spout instead of the shower head? It may be that something is a little cattywampus in there, and what used to the be the full open position is now partially closed. 

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but a few months ago we had a plumber out to repair our leaky kitchen sink faucet.  I forget what he had to change out (a canister or valve or something -- it was a part, not the entire faucet), but ever since then the hot water pressure/flow is much less than the cold water.  So when I'm filling the sink to wash dishes it takes . . .  forever.