Menu

Just a little sad growing up is hard

Joyofsixreboot

So my nearly 17 yo confided in me last evening that one of her good friends. ( since kindy ) is angry because my dd told her that the friend " cheating" on her boyfriend of two years is wrong and another friend frequently drinks too much at parties. I'm not shocked. It's just I hate to see my kid hurting because her friends are being typical, idiot teens. I reassured her I'm proud of her and she is right to express to her friends that she thinks they are wrong but as I recall my mom's opinion and reassurance didn't make me feel one iota better :(

It is hard.  I now understand the women who would look at my screaming 2 year old in the store and tell me to enjoy them when they are young because it never gets easier.

My big kids have endured some hard times in the last year and it has been so hard and sad for me but we have all come out the other side stronger.

Hug her and be glad that she will talk to you.  Open communications (as hard as it has been on me) has been one of the saving graces in our life.

• Like 1

I used to think that if I could get my kids through their boundary pushing toddler years then things would be so much easier. If I could tell my younger self one thing, it would be to enjoy life when they're little because it's never easier. It's just different. My 14 year old isn't screaming in Walmart anymore when I don't buy her candy at the checkout line, but instead she's coming home from school telling me that someone tried to publicly vote her off their lunch table. :glare: :confused1:  (She was more amused at the total failure of this plan than hurt that the girl tried it in the first place.)

Anyway... all that to say, I get it. It is hard. And I know we'll be dealing with ever more serious situations as she gets into high school next year.

• Like 2