Menu

Help me to decide what type of car to replace my van. (first World problem alert)

Ginevra

Yeah, this.

When my second child was born we had a little Saturn. I soon discovered that a double stroller would not fit in the trunk, not to mention I couldn't get groceries and have a stroller. It was too tiny. That was when we bought the Taurus.

I do tend to be a "less is more" person when it comes to "stuff."  And my kids' double stroller was an umbrella style, so it did fit in my Saturn trunk with lots of room to spare.

I know there are people who need a bigger car.  I guess I am reacting to the popular assumption that everyone with kids needs one.  When I announced that I was adopting two babies, my sister said "now you are going to need an SUV / minivan."  Not really.  I was also told I'd now need to park in a garage (no) and lots of other things that are actually optional with or without kids.  :P

We have rented minivans to go on trips with extra people, and they don't give us much more room.  Just enough for one more butt.  They don't hold more cargo than a good-sized car trunk, unless of course you take out the seats.

I do tend to be a "less is more" person when it comes to "stuff." And my kids' double stroller was an umbrella style, so it did fit in my Saturn trunk with lots of room to spare.

I know there are people who need a bigger car. I guess I am reacting to the popular assumption that everyone with kids needs one. When I announced that I was adopting two babies, my sister said "now you are going to need an SUV / minivan." Not really. I was also told I'd now need to park in a garage (no) and lots of other things that are actually optional with or without kids. :P

We have rented minivans to go on trips with extra people, and they don't give us much more room. Just enough for one more butt. They don't hold more cargo than a good-sized car trunk, unless of course you take out the seats.

Oh, I hear ya. I'm a "less is more" person, too, though it doesn't seem like it in the car department, which is why I alerted the thread containes First World Problems!

I did not get the van until we were pg. with our third. The SUV was in 2008.

Is the Escalade your main car? What would this other car be for? I have a Pilot, and I like having that third seat for when we have friends along, which is pretty often, or room for our stuff. But it sounds like the Escalade is comparable to that for you. So, is the other car just to have something for DS to learn to drive and to have a car with better gas mileage for short trips? What do you foresee using this car for?

No, the Escalade is our car for when we are all going somewhere, we have to tow something, we travel, or we're taking additional people somewhere. The replacement car will be what I drive most of the time and what DS learns to drive. Eventually, it will probably be the car younger DS will use when he starts driving (he is 10yo now). Ds 15 will probably be driving a smaller old work truck that we have for the company, currently off the road and untagged.

It goes without saying that the Escalade gets poor gas mileage, so I don't generally drive it around when I have another option.

I appreciate my minivan, but whenever these threads come up, all I can think about is the classic Mustang I'm buying when my children are up and out (my walker should fit in the trunk!).

Topic? DH bought the ugliest Focus hatchback (2003 I think), and I hated it initially. It won me over with great mileage, ultimate low maintenance, and the ability to fit in more stuff than I could ever imagine. We could take it on a road trip for a week with one small child, one baby, and all our stuff. DH totaled it a few years ago. I actually miss it!

• Like 1

I'd choose a small car with good gas efficiency. You have the Escalade you could take to the beach or use for bringing home big purchases.

If a smaller car feels too small, I'd look at something like the RAV4 or CR-V. They are greater haulers for dog people or Costco shoppers, are great in ice/snow, but still are gas efficient and easy to park.

• Like 1