Menu

Religious input please - info only, non controversial (I hope)

IsabelC

OK, so this is a question asked by my curious heathen kids who don't really have anybody to ask irl.

We read something that mentioned a character being "told" and "led" by God to do certain things. This prompted a small flurry of questions regarding how this might work. So I'm asking: in what way/ways do you feel that God tells you (or might tell) you what to do? And if you were thinking/feeling some kind of message, what would be the signs that the message is from God?

I'd really appreciate any short, sweet explanations or examples (from real life or hypothetical) suitable for kids without prior theological knowledge.

Cheers :)

In the context of modern faith, I would say that it might be a strong feeling, idea or impulse -- but one that feels odd.

What do I mean by saying 'it feels odd' -- Maybe it's not something that you would usually want to do. Maybe it's not actually what you were thinking about before the idea popped into your head. Maybe it's strangely selfless, but you want to do it for absolutely no reason. Maybe the idea is weirdly detailed when you haven't put any thought into planning the details. Maybe you were 'just thinking about an idea' and then you do it, but you don't really remember the moment that you decided it was your life plan instead of just brainstorming. Maybe your thought is a normal thought, but every time you think about it you get strangely over-excited about it. Maybe you ask God about an idea and watch for a "sign" in real life that you're on the right track. Maybe lots of people who have no connection to one another all tell you the same thing with no prompting and no reason to know that it was anything special. Things like that make the ideas, feelings or impulses that someone has into something 'odd' enough to be perhaps God's leading.

In the context of ancient documents from time periods with a more supernatural view of the world, I would say that the leading could take less subtle forms. People in those cultures had more robust ideas about how God might touch their lives, including dreams, visions, audible voices, miraculous signs, etc. So, the leafing of shod would operate within those models too.

Most modern believers think of that as a kind of 'special treatment' for key players in God's plans. They would consider it possible (within God's abilities) but not likely to be part of their own experiences.

• Like 3

This Christian's .02

I don't get nudges and leanings and don't trust my gut or intuition. I use wisdom and my skills and knowledge, then make the best decision I can for each circumstance. I wouldn't know a nudge from God from a demon, so I don't go with nudges, hunches, gastric spelunking, dreams, or anything else. Biblical decision making is something I've done not a little studying on, so I don't say this lightly.

I seriously distrust my own inclinations because I know that I can be self-serving. However, I have come to believe that if I act in love toward another, even if it is costly to myself, this "leading" is of God. If I have persistent thoughts about someone--especially out of the blue--this is a clue that I shoild call that person or pray for them. If an action is toward the virtues (and more than likely against my lazy inclinations), this is a leading. If it is a commandment if Christ's in the scriptures, the it's a "leading". Done commandments include these:

Watch.

Be of good cheer

Do not judge

If anyone asks you to go a mile, go two.

You feed them.

I dont hear voices or get visible messages delivered.

OK, so this is a question asked by my curious heathen kids who don't really have anybody to ask irl.

We read something that mentioned a character being "told" and "led" by God to do certain things. This prompted a small flurry of questions regarding how this might work. So I'm asking: in what way/ways do you feel that God tells you (or might tell) you what to do? And if you were thinking/feeling some kind of message, what would be the signs that the message is from God?

I'd really appreciate any short, sweet explanations or examples (from real life or hypothetical) suitable for kids without prior theological knowledge.

Cheers :)

coincidently I'm teaching a lesson on this subject in our women's class on sunday.   :D   I've been in many discussions over the years on this subject among believers, and there is no one simple formula.  each person is different, each circumstance is different even for the same person.

I will keep it short.  ;)  in short - there are *many* ways of being "led" or "told".   sometimes it's very quiet and you need to be listening - and sometimes it comes like a brick upside the head to get your attention. (though not usually).  a quiet assurance, reading something or something someone says that answers a question and "you know" it was the answer you were looking for.  sometimes you "feel" the answer - and other times I have "heard" it.   sometimes it's easy to get an answer - and other times you work for it.

almost always it is accompanied by "the peace that passeth understanding".  no matter how illogical the message might be.  one other thing to always remember is it will always lead to good - even if we don't immediately see it.  I firmly believe that in the long run, God knows us as individuals, loves us as individuals, wants what is best for us - IN THE LONG RUN (he sees the big picture) - as individuals, and more importantly, knows what is best for us.

just a couple brief experiences (I've had many):

after a number of months of unemployment, dh had all but been offered a sweet job - and we *knew* it was going to be offered to him.  it was several days before thanksgiving (at our house), we had small children, we had no money for Christmas . . . . we prayed about it (we were excited at the prospect of money coming in) -a very firm, peaceful "turn it down" came.  :confused:  say what?  "turn it down.  don't take it.". it was very firm, it was very peaceful,  it was also completely illogical.  it was sad and disappointing that the months of struggle weren't over - but we also felt complete peace at turning it down.  we *knew* it was the right course of action.  months later we learned this company went completely belly up - and we'd have been in even worse circumstances than we already were.

another time, I had to pick something up from a location that would soon be closing for several days and so I had a time crunch.  the need was great, and the opportunity was right now.  other wise I would have to wait to get it, and waiting was not an option.  I got lost.  I was panicky, I was upset, I was afraid.  while I was driving I started praying for help - and something took over.  I *knew* (felt) exactly where to turn, which way to go, I became calm and purposeful.  I literally drove up as they were walking out the door. another minute, two at most, and I would have missed them.  the other emotions came right back, and I promptly burst into tears from the emotion, and relief.  they immediately went to work with helping me obtain what I came to pick up.

• Like 3

Here are two examples for your little people:

One evening while I was in college, I had this very distinct feeling -- like an idea that just popped into my head -- that I should pray for my sister.  (She was at another college in another state.)  I stopped what I was doing, prayed for a minute or two, and then went on with my day.  The next day I was talking to my mom on the phone and she asked if I had talked to my sister.  When I said "no", she said "call her".  I called her and found out that the night before she was taken to the hospital in an ambulance.  She had gone into anaphylaxis -- her throat was closing -- because she didn't know she was allergic to aspirin and had taken some for a headache.  The best we could figure, I was praying for her while she was in the ambulance.

After I graduated from college, I had two job opportunities that seemed promising.  One was in the city where I lived and had lots of friends and a nice townhouse; the other was in a city where I knew no one.  I was praying each day for wisdom in deciding which job I should take if they were both offered.  I wanted the job in the city where I lived, but the job in the other city seemed ok as well.  One morning I woke up and the very first thought that crossed my mind was "If you are offered the job in the other city, you should take it."  The next morning I was offered the job, I took it, and a few weeks later I met dh in the city where the new job was.

ETA:  :) :) :) smilies for your dc!

• Like 2

here is a story shared by a leader in our church - a pioneer in cardiovascular surgery.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2003/04/sweet-power-of-prayer?lang=eng  scroll down to "personal experience with prayer".   He had been very reluctant to operate on this older man (who was insistent he could help him.) because he didn't think he could help him, and only after praying and feeling it was right to proceed did he attempt the surgery.  still, having no idea what to do or if he could even help him.  the answers came into his mind, complete with dotted lines, while his patient was on the operating table with his chest open, and his health was restored.

eta: edited for clarity.  the patient had two malfunctioning heart valves. the dr knew how to repair one, but not the other one.  (this was early days of open heart surgery).  the answer to prayer came in how to repair the 2nd valve.

• Like 1

Thank you all for responding :)

(Btw I tried to Like all the posts, but for some reason it only allows me to Like some of them, no idea why...)

So it sounds like this kind of thing is pretty individual rather than a generally agreed on Christian thing. One person could experience a specific feeling, thought or vision. Another person could feel something a bit more vague, or just find themselves heading in a certain direction. Or it could be a case of 'virtuous' vs non-virtuous inclinations (that one reminded me of in Narnia when it says that all the good things are done for Aslan the good god and all the bad things are done in service of Tash the bad god/devil).

And I am now waiting for the opportunity to use the expression 'gastric spelunking'  :lol: 

• Like 2

Thank you all for responding :)

(Btw I tried to Like all the posts, but for some reason it only allows me to Like some of them, no idea why...)

Did you reach your "like" limit?

sad but true.  we're only allowed 100 in 24 hours.

Short and sweet: When God speaks it is called revelation. It can come in the form of visions, dreams, or angelic visitations. But most often God speaks to our minds and our hearts through the Holy Ghost. We both feel and understand it. It is accompanied with a feeling of peace, love, and enlightenment. It has been described as a still, small voice, yet powerful and piercing.

• Like 2

Short and sweet: When God speaks it is called revelation. It can come in the form of visions, dreams, or angelic visitations. But most often God speaks to our minds and our hearts through the Holy Ghost. We both feel and understand it. It is accompanied with a feeling of peace, love, and enlightenment. It has been described as a still, small voice, yet powerful and piercing.

This. And it it will NEVER go against Scripture.

• Like 5