Menu

Library Sale finds

MyThreeSons

Last week, as I was finishing up a tutoring session at the library, I stopped to check out the offerings on the "Fill Your Bag for $1" sale table. I guess that while I was tutoring, some sweet retiring teacher dropped off several big plastic totes full of resources. I wasn't greedy, but I did manage to get several items that will be useful in teaching at my two co-ops this year. $1 total spent there. 

Then today, ds asked if we could stop by the Friends of the Library store. He didn't find anything this time, but I found several more really good resources, including a very nice university-level Physics textbook that will come in handy, several books with Science experiments and demonstrations, a math tricks book, and a couple of books to use in my Study Skills Workshop I will be teaching in a few weeks. This haul cost me a whopping $12 for nine books. They actually doubled their prices from the last time we were in there: it is now $2 for a hardback and $1 for a paperback, in general, but there are exceptions.

The last time I was in the Friends of the Library store, I scored an older copy of Hewitt's Conceptual Physics textbook for $1. 

What are your best library store finds?

• Like 3

I love the library sales.

I have found some vintage textbooks at the library sales. -- (ie Websters Speller for $1)

I've gotten chunks of encyclopedias or reference materials for a very good price from library sales.

I've gotten foreign language materials for excellent prices at the library.

ETA: Also, I like to look for older editions of modern textbooks for pennies on the dollar from other places.

• Like 1

I love library sales but I got burned badly last year. I grabbed some really old encyclopedias and brought them home. Put them on my shelf with all our leather bound Bibles.

Turns out they had carpet beetles in them. The carpet beetles love leather and destroyed all of my old Bibles before I discovered them. We had to throw away so many books due to them.

Just look over those books very well!

• Like 1

Not exactly a library sale, but a school near me has a annual used book sale fundraiser. This year I found nine volumes ofThe Young Folks' Shelf of Books for $9 and all four of Churchill's History of the English Speaking People for $8.