Menu

Meeting requirements for science with lab....

My child tires easily so we try to get the most bang for our buck with the hours she is functioning well.  Do you think it is necessary to write up every lab as a report?  Or do you think just performing the labs and writing up 2 or 3 to become familiar with a lab report is sufficient? 

No, it is not necessary to write up a lab report for every lab.  At my sons' private high school, they did a formal write up on maybe two labs per semester.  The rest were recorded on sheets that the teacher made.

• Like 3

For one year that I helped with high school science at a co-op, we found that Knowledge Box Central has some authorized Apologia notebooks that include pre-written lab reports.   The materials and procedure are provided pre-typed for you, and then headings for filling in your own hypothesis, observations, conclusion.  I tried to make them record those categories for at least one per chapter (so, about every other week) even if they were just drawing their observation. 

You could probably find other curricula with templates like that, or make your own.  For a student with dysgraphia or similar challenges, I might even allow the observations to be photographs when possible.  But I'd want my student writing a hypothesis and conclusion for most experiments, even if the conclusion is "My hypothesis was correct."  I mean, I'd like to have higher standards, but for a student who is either going to write that or leave it blank, I'd rather see that than nothing.

• Like 1

My child tires easily so we try to get the most bang for our buck with the hours she is functioning well.  Do you think it is necessary to write up every lab as a report?  Or do you think just performing the labs and writing up 2 or 3 to become familiar with a lab report is sufficient? 

No, it isn't at all necessary to write up every lab. Two or 3 lab reports a year is enough for anyone. Doing the labs, recording data, and analyzing results is necessary for the others, but not formal write ups.

• Like 1