Menu

Canning Homemade Spaghetti Sauce--share your beloved recipe!

I just canned 21 quarts yesterday with a recipe I found 5 years back. I'm going to do another 2 batches this week and it would be fun to try out a couple different recipes for Spaghetti sauce.

Please share your to-die-for spaghetti recipes.

Mine is a throw-it-all-in-and-taste-as-you-go method. It usually includes tomatoes (obviously), bell peppers, onions, garlic, basil, salt, pepper & sugar. And, thanks to someone here (sorry, I can't remember who) I just throw the tomatoes in the food processor withOUT peeling them, and put them in the pot & start cooking. It is so much easier and you don't notice the pieces of peel, really! I freeze my sauce instead of canning it, though. I like it sweet, kinda like prego.

I got this recipe almost 10 years ago from a friend, and I've been using it ever since. I've canned it before, and it does nicely. I don't add meat when I can it, because then you have to use a pressure canner. It's so good, I think it stands up well even without meat. I'll give you her exact recipe, which she used her garden tomatoes for, then I'll tell you how I cheat.

Esther's MIL's Spaghetti Sauce

2 qt. tomato juice

1 can (29 oz) tomato puree

1 can (12 oz.) tomato paste

salt and pepper

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

1 T. oregano

3/4 tsp. sweet basil

2 small pinches parsley

1/4 tsp. chili powder

2 T. sugar

1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

6 oz. water

Esther uses her garden tomatoes to make the juice and whatnot. I don't garden, so I just use whatever cans of tomato products get me pretty close in amount and thickness. I've done it with jars of tomato juice, crushed tomatoes, just whatever I have handy. The flavors are really good and the red pepper flakes are the secret. It's not too hot, just enough zippy to be nice.

I just canned 21 quarts yesterday with a recipe I found 5 years back. I'm going to do another 2 batches this week and it would be fun to try out a couple different recipes for Spaghetti sauce.

Please share your to-die-for spaghetti recipes.

21 quarts! Will you share yours too? :001_smile: I don't have one to share, but I'm looking for something to do with all of my tomatoes. :lurk5:

21 quarts! Will you share yours too? :001_smile: I don't have one to share, but I'm looking for something to do with all of my tomatoes. :lurk5:

Seasoned Tomato Sauce

45 lbs tomatoes (approx. 1/2 bushel)

6 cups chopped onions (approx. 6 medium sized)

12 cloves garlic, minced (approx. 1 head of garlic)

1/2 cup olive oil

2 T oregano (I use fresh if I have it)

2 tea. red pepper, crushed (I use red pepper flakes)

1/4 cup salt

1 T black pepper

1.5 T sugar

6 bay leaves--optional

Wash, core, and quarter tomatoes. Puree in blender with onions, garlic and seasonings. In large saucepot place tomato mixture. Simmer until cooked and reduced to desired thickness. Remove bay leaves. Ladle hot sauce into hot sterlized jars. Process pines 35 minutes and quarts 40 minutes.

I got this recipe from a Martha Stewart magazine 5 summers ago. It's a keeper. Although the recipe doesn't call for it and tastes great without it if I have a pepper, celery, or basil laying around I throw them in too.

I use this for lasagna, spaghetti, chili--all things tomato based.