Menu

MFW ...skip ECC?

mmasc

I'm looking at what to do next year. I will have a 5th, 2nd (LA more at a first gr level), and almost-5-year old. I have SOTW Ancients and I'm planning to use it with the activity guide. Since my DS9 hasn't really studied history in the typical cycle, I thought about just having him do this with us, maybe adding in more books. I've read it's a bit 'young' for 5th graders. ??

However, I'm drawn to the schedule and content of MFW and I'm wondering if getting the Creation to the Greeks would be good for the older DS. Meatier for him, but still in the same time period. So, my questions are:

1) MFW recommends everyone start with ECC. Should I not skip it?

2) will I be full-blown crazy trying to do SOTW 1 AND MFW? Too much?

3) what would you do? :)

Our background is that we've studied US History and memorized/explored some timeline things through CC, but haven't studied anything in the 4 year history cycle thoroughly. We won't be in CC next school year.

Thank you for any advice/tips!

I don't think it's crazy to add SOTW. I think they even include SOTW in other history periods. Just read it as a book though. You don't need the activity guide. You can start wherever you want. If you don't want to do ECC, don't worry about it. You will probably be ok with the history in MFW for your older one, since most do ECC in 3rd and the one you are looking at in fourth, but you can always add a beefier assignment such as a book report or timeline or notebook to make it more engaging for him. You probably won't need to though since they have modifications for sibling within second through eighth grade.

• Like 1

agreeing with above.   You have SOTW in book basket in CTG.  keep it relaxed and enjoy.   If you wanted it to be read aloud you can do that.  Or just as an extra book.   I never did SOTW 1. I had it from library for a bit, and we just weren't needing it with CTG that year. had plenty already. and yes, MFW does include SOTW vols 2, 3, 4 in other years.   But sometimes it's easy to have a year round book in "book basket" in MFW if you want your children to read it.

if you want to skip ECC, you might still find a way over the next few years to include geography in some fashion.  Oldest could even have some summer fun learning with geography, biomes, etc.   Then, if you still with mfw cycle it could look like...

ctg  5th 2nd kindy (well, kindy sib is mostly learning 3R's and joining in fun stuff)

rtr 6th, 3rd, and next child in 1st

ex1850, 7th, 4th, 2nd grader (oh, you could get the younger sib supplement that year)

1850mod, 8th, 5th, 3rd (with younger supplement)

ecc  with 6th and 4th grader.   oldest would be in high school ancients. but could be asked to join other siblings for a few minutes to play the geography game if you wanted.

and after that, don't worry too much because that's years down the road, but middle child and youngest do CTG, then RTR... don't worry that middle child in 9th starts with ancients - I've been there, done that...  and youngest gets it all.

and of course other plans can work to get geography in for the oldest.  I was just seeing that one for now.

I really liked and appreciated the content and intent of a year of ECC.  I felt like it set the stage for learning more about the world and who and where people are.  But if you don't do it, it's ok.

In terms of ideas of CTG and book reports, timeline etc...   mfw includes timeline (if you need more detail for 5th grader, you can do more),  notebooking is including too (if you need more, it's ok to do more).  and the book Streams of Civilizations has some ideas for bigger projects, but those tend to work better in jr. high, but if there's an idea in that book at beginning of chapters, you'll be fine.  But there's plenty in CTG for the 5th grader -- you can have that student in charge of science labs, and projects.   and remember to use the internet linked history book for more ideas.   So that's how some of the modifications are built into MFW at those levels.    When my oldest did CTG originally in 3rd, some parts were abstract for her.   She got to do it again in 8th (and yes, she's one of those who did CTG and then AHL next year) and we focused more on writing, etc.  It all worked out.

• Like 1

We are skipping ECC and going right into CTG this year (3rd and 1st grader will be doing this).  The reason they don't want you skipping ECC is because they feel the students should have a good grasp on world geography before studying world history.  Over the past few years, we have been studying geography quite a bit, so I feel comfortable skipping it.  I've already begun planning CTG and IMO it seems to be meaty enough for the older child, but also would work with the younger. Rather than using SOTW, we are actually throwing in MOH (CDs) since my ODS absolutely loves all the history he can get his hands on.  I think used in a casual manner, SOTW 1 would work well with CTG.  I'd evaluate the work load in CTG first before adding it in.  MOH will be ODS's free time (he loves history that much!).

• Like 1

We are skipping ECC and going right into CTG this year (3rd and 1st grader will be doing this). The reason they don't want you skipping ECC is because they feel the students should have a good grasp on world geography before studying world history. Over the past few years, we have been studying geography quite a bit, so I feel comfortable skipping it. I've already begun planning CTG and IMO it seems to be meaty enough for the older child, but also would work with the younger. Rather than using SOTW, we are actually throwing in MOH (CDs) since my ODS absolutely loves all the history he can get his hands on. I think used in a casual manner, SOTW 1 would work well with CTG. I'd evaluate the work load in CTG first before adding it in. MOH will be ODS's free time (he loves history that much!).

That's great to know! My kids have a pretty good grasp on the geography of the world. Your comments about their reasoning for doing ECC first make me feel much more comfortable with the idea of moving right into CTG. Thank you! :)

the other aspect of the mantra of do ECC first comes not just with maps and names of countries, but the cultural geography aspect as well.  Make sure you are doing that along the way as well.  getting to know/understand others around you, and in the rest of the world.   For some people, that's a way of living more than a way of schooling.  They are connected with people at parent's work from outside of US, or have church connections with missionaries, or neighbors.  Food choices might have an international flavor and trying new things.  That's a big part of ECC as well.  Gives that opportunity for those who aren't doing that in life.  So if you're doing that, great.  If not, consider ways to add in "people/cultural" geography on those Light and Independent Friday's in CTG even if you don't do ECC.

sharing this with a decade of hindsight on this part:  if one is doing CTG when oldest is 3rd grade, it is a good idea to make sure you adjust the "advanced" assignments for your advanced first born.  just saying....  I learned that one by experience a decade ago.  Some of it was just enough abstract that I was getting deer in headlights.  Didn't mean I couldn't use CTG, just meant I had to adjust a few things and remember her age/stage of learning, even though she was "gifted" and advanced (still is).  better yet: leave out the advanced stuff in CTG assignments. ;)

I'm really thinking CTG looks good for us! But I'm nervous because I've never bought anything that even resembles a 'package'. I always piece ours together. This feels less scary though because I'm still picking our spelling, math, and writing. :)

So, experienced users...am I understanding this correctly on what we would need for CTG?

--CTG package for 5th grader

---2nd grader would ONLY need the student sheets that go with CTG?

---Do you recommend getting the student sheets for my will-be-five year old? He'll be doing his own thing but I'd like him included on whatever he can be. (I know I need math, LA, etc. I'm just wondering about the MFW stuff)

TIA!

ETA: correct a typo

My general advice on the decision about should I get student sheets from older program for my child less than 2nd grade age goes along these lines:

(assumes that the extra $18 is not an issue in your budget)

Is this child the kind of person who would be upset and sad and feel left out if he/she did not have the exact same worksheets as older siblings?  If yes, then get them.  Even if they don't use all of the pages or timeline pieces in there, you have more options that just make them feel part of it all.  and if they end up not wanting any of them, then you have a set to go sell, right?  or have a back up if older sib needs a do over.   But for the price?  if it makes it easier to include kindy age child who will notice and will want to be include with exact stuff...  get it. for 50 cents a week, the value is in the peace it brings to momma, right?

If this child is not going to care about having the exact same as older siblings, and is not much of a writer, you might be able to skip getting the sheets, and just letting them participate in hands on activities that don't involve worksheets. But the notebooking pages can be colored and drawn on if needed.  etc.  My youngest fit this category and she didn't care.  

2nd grader in CTG:  will need a set of student sheets.  other stuff is one per family.   oh wait.  if you plan to use God and the History of Art, then you have to make decision a bit.   Those pages can be copied for other family members, or you can buy one per student, or use one as master and everyone draws in a notebook for art.    For long time I tried to have it as one copy of those volumes.... but we liked the stuff and so it made more sense to get one book for oldest and middle.  (youngest was one of those who did not care if she had the exact thing or not)  and obviously the 2nd grader will be at their own stuff with math and language.

• Like 1

My general advice on the decision about should I get student sheets from older program for my child less than 2nd grade age goes along these lines:

(assumes that the extra $18 is not an issue in your budget)

Is this child the kind of person who would be upset and sad and feel left out if he/she did not have the exact same worksheets as older siblings? If yes, then get them. Even if they don't use all of the pages or timeline pieces in there, you have more options that just make them feel part of it all. and if they end up not wanting any of them, then you have a set to go sell, right? or have a back up if older sib needs a do over. But for the price? if it makes it easier to include kindy age child who will notice and will want to be include with exact stuff... get it. for 50 cents a week, the value is in the peace it brings to momma, right?

If this child is not going to care about having the exact same as older siblings, and is not much of a writer, you might be able to skip getting the sheets, and just letting them participate in hands on activities that don't involve worksheets. But the notebooking pages can be colored and drawn on if needed. etc. My youngest fit this category and she didn't care.

2nd grader in CTG: will need a set of student sheets. other stuff is one per family. oh wait. if you plan to use God and the History of Art, then you have to make decision a bit. Those pages can be copied for other family members, or you can buy one per student, or use one as master and everyone draws in a notebook for art. For long time I tried to have it as one copy of those volumes.... but we liked the stuff and so it made more sense to get one book for oldest and middle. (youngest was one of those who did not care if she had the exact thing or not) and obviously the 2nd grader will be at their own stuff with math and language.

Thank you so much for your helpful replies! I think my youngest DS will fall into the latter category. ;)