Menu

What does writing across the curriculum look like at your house?

How much writing are your kids doing? Per day? Per week? What type of writing? Within a writing program or separate?

We used LTOW last year and had great success with it, completing an essay every 3 weeks using issues pulled from whichever of the Great Books ds15 was reading at the time. He really did no other writing. I want to ramp up his writing in the upcoming school year, but I really don't have an idea how much is appropriate or how to fit it in. Looking for thoughts and ideas from the hive...

Thanks!

This is how I planned things out for this upcoming grade 9.  I don't know if it will work yet. :) I planned out all the other subjects for my son's grade 9 school year.  Then I overlaided IEW's SIC Level C and Elegant Essay over my plans.  Assigning IEW's Unit's 1 & 2 to the first month, Unit 3 to the 2nd month, etc.  Then I assigned writing assignments to 30% of the subjects on week 1 of each month, 30% of the subjects on week 2 and the last 30% of the subjects in week 3.  Week 4 is when all the written assignments are polished up and due.  I then made sure that whatever subjects my child had to do during the research units, I assigned the same subjects for Unit 9.  Also, I made sure to not assign any tests on the week 4 so my student could spend more time on the writing assignments.

If you don't know how IEW works, this just made no sense to you!

Ds is using SWB's Writing with Skill.  He is finishing 1; will do WWS2 next year and probably WW3 for his senior year.  (I know; we're a little bit late to the writing party.)

She has writing assignments in the books that are across the curriculum.  If he is writing a science or history assignment, I count it toward that class instead of toward Language.  There are plenty of assignments that don't go into other categories.  These are for his Language grade.