Menu

What multi-level science have you used or are using with success?

We switched to individual science programs for each child for this past year and it has just about killed me, not to mention that I don't think any one of them got enough attention doing it that way.  I want to look at what my options would be for something mulit-level but that would work with a 1st, 4th and 7th grader.  Keeping in mind that the 1st grader is really just along for the ride. :)  

I have a few things on my shelf that I could make work but am curious what is out there already designed as mutli-level. 

Christian Kids Explore series may be an option. What makes it multi-level is the guide gives you the basics to read to the student then you add in videos and/or library books at each child's level to beef up the material or just add pics , whichever is the need. In the Earth and Space vol you are giving a hands-on project nearly every week. The Biology vol is less hands on and more research and report. From the looks of Susan Evan's blog the Chemistry looks very hands on. Your 4nd grader would do best in Biology or Earth and Space. The Chemistry is better suited for olders. But you can make any of them work for any age depending on supplemental materials. 

http://susanevans.org/blog/earth-space-series/

http://susanevans.org/blog/elementary-chemistry-series/

Different vols and sample pages:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntt=christian+kids+explore&N=0&Ntk=keywords&action=Search&Ne=0&event=ESRCG&nav_search=1&cms=1

Apologia Elementary series.

In your case, I would tend to opt for a subject. Pick something for your 7th grader. Then let the younger ones tag along for any experiements your older is doing. Get lots of library books on similar subjects and you do read-alouds with whoever is available to listen - it doesn't always have to be the same kids.

There are tons of hands-on science books that work for multiple ages.

At my home we also like to use Supercharged Science videos for instruction and projects for the younger ones when they aren't already working with the older ones. I don't make a plan for my younger kids - we just read, read, read science and do lots of experiments as they come up.

I had a hard time with kids the same ages, so next year I plan to separate them out, but do experiments and such in group unit studies.  I have no idea how it will work, but I know this age gap is too much to combine them for full content in science.  I am going to get them each Interactive Science at their grade level, for a general science for the 2nd and 5th graders, the 7th grader will be doing Earth Science, and most unit studies will go along w/ that.  Again, no idea if it will work out or not.  I just know I cannot fully teach to 2nd grade and 7th grade at the same time.  I am either way over the 2nd graders head in both content and interest, or super-boring for the 7th grader.  Everyone likes the experiments, no matter if they really understand what we are learning or not, so I'm going to not worry about teaching the little one so much as just enjoying and finding out neat things w/ the experiements, and whatever they pick up is good. 

Depending on your beliefs, God's Design might work. There are lots of suggestions in each lesson for older kids. A lot of it is research and writing, though. There aren't very many good experiments. And I would say the chemistry and physical sets are definitely better for older kids.

We are successfully doing "guided" interest-led science with four ages 6-9.  Same topic, but I assign different reading material based on reading level...with the 6 yr old mostly being along for the ride.  

We come together for a group lesson and they all complete the same lapbook elements for their own separate lapbooks...with the 6 and 7 yr olds needing more hand-holding in the writing of each piece.  

I have also seen this done successfully with one lapbook that each member of the family contributes to, based on their ability.  

We tried Apologia and really didn't care for it.  For a number of reasons.  

I have found BFSU combines well with my two children - the eldest of whom is working at an advanced level. I am not sure however that I would like to have started out the way I am doing it now - I feel like I needed the time growing into it with my eldest before combining them when DD moved into BFSU2 and using BFSU2 to decide which topics in BFSU1 to teach my youngest so that the youngest got it new and the oldest had revision before her own section.