Menu

Where to buy padded socks, in a variety of colors, not too expensive?

Suzanne in ABQ

I got some super nice (expensive) padded socks at REI for my dd when she was going on a backpacking trip, and subsequently passed them on to my mom.  She's 85, and has only bone under skin on the bottom of her feet (no natural padding at all).  She loves them.

My mom's friend would like to buy some padded socks like the ones I gave my mom.  I told her I'd take them both shopping, but neither of them can walk very far.  They'll both be using walkers.  And, my mom's friend can't afford the $15 a pair I paid at REI.  She would like crew socks, padded, in a variety of colors.

I'm going to scout out a couple places before I take them on Saturday.  I know Sports Authority has a whole wall of socks, but I don't know if their prices will be much better than REI.

Any other ideas?  We have most major chain stores.

You should be able to check stock and prices online for most major stores. That would be easier than in person.

Looks like Walmart, Kohls, Dick's Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, Footlocker, Kmart, Target, etc all list at least some form of padded or cushioned socks.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where the best deals are for padded socks, but as to color she could dye them. Where my mom works they have to wear uniform shirts but they're allowed to overdye them as long as it's a single color. She used to dye her shirt and one or two pairs of socks to make a matching set.

What about just getting gel inserts for shoes? I know this might not be convenient if she doesn't want to wear shoes all the time, though.

• Like 1

Does rei have the perfect thing including different colors?

If so, it might be worth stopping by rei to explain the situation to a manager and ask if there's anyway the ladies could get a sale price. Maybe the manager could give you a raincheck type voucher for a sale price.

• Like 1

You should be able to check stock and prices online for most major stores. That would be easier than in person.

Looks like Walmart, Kohls, Dick's Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, Footlocker, Kmart, Target, etc all list at least some form of padded or cushioned socks.

Thank you for looking!  I know you can check store stock on big items, but I don't know how it would work with little things like socks.  I will look online, and then if it looks promising (large variety), I'll check it out in person before taking them.  Thanks for the store ideas.  We have all those stores.

I'm not sure where the best deals are for padded socks, but as to color she could dye them. Where my mom works they have to wear uniform shirts but they're allowed to overdye them as long as it's a single color. She used to dye her shirt and one or two pairs of socks to make a matching set.

What about just getting gel inserts for shoes? I know this might not be convenient if she doesn't want to wear shoes all the time, though.

I don't think she's looking for specific colors.  She just likes to have choices, I think.  If we don't find what she likes, I'll suggest dying them.  See what she says.

Maybe this? or this?

Those are beautiful colors!  And good prices.  I think they're looking forward to the little outing, but if we don't find anything, I'll show her these on my phone.

Does rei have the perfect thing including different colors?

If so, it might be worth stopping by rei to explain the situation to a manager and ask if there's anyway the ladies could get a sale price. Maybe the manager could give you a raincheck type voucher for a sale price.

That's a good idea.  I hadn't thought of appealing to a manager.  I'll keep that in mind.  Thanks.

Order from SierraTradingPost and tell her a fake price? I did that with my granny often. Oh yes, this was on sale for $15! ;)

Marshalls and TJMaxx have good sock selections. My DH gets his pricey running socks there.

I do this all the time with my mom, but I don't know her friend at all.  I'll check out these stores, as well.  May get lucky.

~Thanks everyone, for putting so much thought in this.