Menu

Rethinking CC Challenge 1

Guest sburdett

Guest sburdett

My dd has completed CC Challenge A & B and will be a 9th grader next year.  I always thought that she would be in the Challenge program for high school, but I'm rethinking this decision after our year of challenge B.  She is a year ahead in Latin and Math.  I also want her to take biology instead of physical science next year.  So, she would be working on her own at a different level for 3 out of the 6 strands.  

My questions:  Has anyone else stuck with challenge even though you are working ahead in some of the areas?

If you left CC, what did you use for History/Literature? Do you regret leaving?

I've posted here before on our experience.  I tutored Foundations, Essentials, and Challenge Latin.

My oldest did Challenge A, B, and I, and frankly we should have bailed after Challenge B.  I outsourced Latin in B and I because he was loving it so and wanted harder and faster.  I taught him math because he needed more customized attention.  He didn't find Challenge I to be at all difficult, and the level of expectations there and peer issues weren't what I had hoped.  I added to the Physical Science class to make it Integrated Chemistry and Physics and put higher standards on his papers.  We have plenty of friends who have loved Challenge and used it longer than we did, but it wasn't a good fit for us.

We used online VPSA classes for history and literature after that, and Lukeion for Latin.  No regrets.  He was appropriately challenged and much happier than that last year of Challenge.

My younger one decided to bail after Challenge A and went to a local class that covers history, literature, and writing, and did two years of Latin with VPSA and then will be with CAP for Latin Lit in the fall.  She didn't like Challenge A because the other students weren't taking it seriously, but she loves what we have done since.

I frankly think that I had a harder time leaving than my teens did.  At that point, the friends they had made earlier on had mostly gone to public high school or other choices.  Their close friends were from other activities.

I still miss the weekly interaction myself and enjoyed my years tutoring.  I've graduated one and have only two years of homeschooling left, so new horizons ahead.  CC no longer hires "retired" homeschool parents, so that's that. 

Guest sburdett

Thanks for your response.  I've been a part of a CC group since my soon to be 9th grader was in 1st grade.  I've been a foundations and essentials tutor and have enjoyed the program for the most part.  We weren't too happy with challenge B because most of the kids didn't complete the majority of their work.  It was frustrating for my daughter.  

It's hard to think about leaving CC because most of our friends are in CC.  We've only lived in this city for 2 years...ahh, change can be so hard!

My daughter did Challenge A and B. She enjoyed Challenge A, but by the time we did B we realized with all we were supplementing it just was an unnecessary overkill. We left before Challenge I and have no regrets. She's now in a university model program where we can pick the classes she needs and wants to focus on. She's even had time to pick a Lukeion class. It was the right thing for us to do. We miss our CC friends, but not the program.

The Potter's School was a good fit for my oldest after leaving Challenge 1.  Economics and a Shakespeare course had teachers with rigorous expectations (similar in difficulty to Challenge work) yet lots of grace as they TAUGHT and he learned.  He was at a point where he needed to be taught, to receive feedback from an expert. Neither the Ch. 1 tutor nor I were experts in all subjects, so it was tough to answer his questions. 

• 9 months later...

...It's hard to think about leaving CC because most of our friends are in CC.  We've only lived in this city for 2 years...ahh, change can be so hard!

Whether in CC or other homeschool support, lots of families experience that loss of friends just in the transition from 8th to 9th grade, with so many homeschoolers switching to a more traditional educational option at that point rather than continuing with homeschooling. BUT... there are lots of wonderful high school extracurriculars your student can get involved in to meet new friends and get involved in your new city/community! :)

Taking a local  AP class, or doing online classes or even dual enrollment can be a great way to keep up the academic challenge in high school. And in case you're looking for ideas about activities, below is a list of ideas that I just cut-and-pasted from a past post. Best of luck deciding your high school path! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Music

- private lesson providers (instrument or voice) and participation in recitals

- homeschool co-ops offering music/drama/performance-based classes and end-of-year performances

- some private, public or charter schools allow participation in their band/orchestra

- join a community youth band/orchestra/choir

- look into community classes or organizations for folk music, folk dancing, etc.

- community youth theater groups (example: Christian Youth Theater)

- class offerings of your local Parks & Rec department

- participation in a church choir, worship team, bell ringing group, etc.

- many large churches have special Christmas musical performances opportunities for youth

Fine Arts/Writing:

- attend student matinee showings of theater productions, concerts, etc.

- field trips to art museum, glass-blowing studio, pottery studio...

- art from a private lesson provider

- homeschool co-op offering fine arts classes

- Parks & Rec classes: arts and crafts, jewelry-making, print-making, etc.

- student writes articles for publishing in a local newspaper

- student writes own blog

- participate in NaNoWriMo

Sports/Athletic/Outdoor

- club sports (AYSO, Bobbysoxers, Little League, Pop Warner, etc…)

- swim team

NYS sports teams

- YMCA sports teams

- public, private or charter middle / high schools allow participation on their sports teams

- Parks & Rec classes

- after school bowling league

- weekly homeschool group PE day

- private classes/studios: martial arts, dance, fencing, horseback riding, gymnastics, cheerleading...

Orienteering

Geocaching or Letterboxing

- family or local group for weekend hiking / running / biking / tennis / etc.

- weekend "pick up" games at the park or gym of basketball, ultimate frisbee, etc.

Academic Extracurriculars

Math Olympiad team

National Forensics League (speech/debate)

National Christian Forensics and Communication Association (Christian speech/debate)

STOA (Christian speech & debate)

FIRST Robotics (high school robotic team competition)

National Science Bowl (middle school/high school knowledge competition)

Youth & Government (model government/legislation program)

TEEN Pact (government and the political process; Christian)

Junior State of America (civics and politics)

National Model United Nations or Model United Nations (mock U.N. session)

Teen CourtYouth CourtMock Trial (mock judicial)

- summer programs for teens, offered through local University or Community College

- 50 best Science summer programs for high school students

- summer academic programs or pre-college programs (see lists from: FastWeb, College Choice, etc.)

Other Extracurriculars - national groups, with local branches

4-H (not just animals! -- archery, public speaking; rockets…)

- Scouting

Christian Communicators of America (public speaking)

- Junior Toastmasters (public speaking)

DECA (high school business-career oriented)

Future Farmers of America (agriculture)

Community Opportunities

- community historical recreation group

Community Gardens

- volunteer student tutor to young strudents at local library

- volunteer work with an animal shelter, food bank, or other group of interest

- after school clubs at local middle/high school: chess, robotics, book club, etc.

- homeschool geography bee, spelling bee, etc.

- summer programs for teens, offered through your local University or Community College

- join an air soft and/or paintball group and go out on the weekends

- organize monthly ballroom dances for teens at a local church or hall 

- host a bi-weekly club at your house for DC and friends: book discussion, jewelry-making, cooking...

- teen works a part time job, or starts own cottage business

High School Military Cadet Groups

Civil Air Patrol  (ages 12-18)

U.S. Naval Sea Cadets (ages 11-17)

Junior ROTC (grades 9-12)

U.S. Army Junior ROTC

Past Threads with lots of ideas:

Low income people and extracurriculars

Finding extra-curricular

What extracurricular activities for the high school years?

What kinds of extra activities for high schoolers?

DS is so, so lonely

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I wish we had dropped out before Challenge I.  We're just finishing it up this year for my 10th grade ds and we are going to have him take both Biology and Chemistry plus an AP World History class next year to try and make up for lost time.  The part I do like is that he had a good Economics tutor and has 1/2 credit for Drama in doing the Shakespeare play, "The Taming of the Shrew", but I really wish we had pulled him out after Challenge B.

I wish we had dropped out before Challenge I.  We're just finishing it up this year for my 10th grade ds and we are going to have him take both Biology and Chemistry plus an AP World History class next year to try and make up for lost time.  The part I do like is that he had a good Economics tutor and has 1/2 credit for Drama in doing the Shakespeare play, "The Taming of the Shrew", but I really wish we had pulled him out after Challenge B.

I wondered how you were doing with Challenge I after previous discussions here-and-there. Old thread, but I'm glad you posted.

My older one is doing beautifully in college.

My younger one is still happy that we didn't do CC past Challenge A. She still talks about how unmotivated her group was then and how she's pushed by the choices we made since. She just took the National Latin Exam Prose IV exam, something she would have never been able to do with just the CC Latin as it was handled in on our campus. She's graduating a year early next May.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1

I wondered how you were doing with Challenge I after previous discussions here-and-there. Old thread, but I'm glad you posted.

My older one is doing beautifully in college.

My younger one is still happy that we didn't do CC past Challenge A. She still talks about how unmotivated her group was then and how she's pushed by the choices we made since. She just took the National Latin Exam Prose IV exam, something she would have never been able to do with just the CC Latin as it was handled in on our campus. She's graduating a year early next May.

Congratulations on the accomplishments of your dc!  Yes, I remember what you posted, too, and I was hoping we would have a better experience.  Perhaps we would have, with a better tutor, and yet I think it helped us to realize that CC just isn't for us in the high school years.

On a side note, I really developed a love for Latin from doing it in CC, so I will take that with me.  If I am able to teach beginning Latin (which I am...as I'm working my way through Henle I...on Lesson 30 and can do most of the exercises without looking at the ans. key), what would be a good progression to get my upcoming 9th grader a chance at taking the NLE?  I should probably start a new thread on this topic someday...

Brenda

Congratulations on the accomplishments of your dc!  Yes, I remember what you posted, too, and I was hoping we would have a better experience.  Perhaps we would have, with a better tutor, and yet I think it helped us to realize that CC just isn't for us in the high school years.

On a side note, I really developed a love for Latin from doing it in CC, so I will take that with me.  If I am able to teach beginning Latin (which I am...as I'm working my way through Henle I...on Lesson 30 and can do most of the exercises without looking at the ans. key), what would be a good progression to get my upcoming 9th grader a chance at taking the NLE?  I should probably start a new thread on this topic someday...

Brenda

Yes, I grew speaking German, Spanish, and English and did a German lit minor. I enjoy languages, so taking up Latin didn't seem too hard. I worked all the way through Helne I when my oldest was in Challenge A, and then followed it with Henle II. After we left CC I haven't had time to pick it up again, but I'm planning to take Latin next year with SeniorLearn, which uses Cambridge.

My oldest did Latin with VPSA, then Lukeion. My younger one did VPSA and then CAP. 

So yes, the introduction to Latin in CC served us well.

My teens found that Wheelock's and Latin Alive both matched well with the NLE. You want a variety of passages with some history along the way. Father Henle did a superb job, but his grammar progression doesn't match the NLE well and his passage choices are more narrow.